Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African's in RFC in East Africa

olosangus

Found his medal index card on Ancestry but it says very little. Can email you if you like. He's unlikely to be mentioned in the sources I list above as he was not an officer.

As an Air Mechanic, 1st Class, he was most likely assigned to ground crew duties although some AMs did serve as observers. Howell was born at Blackburn, Lancs

(birth registered in January, 1888, at Blackburn; the 1891 & 1901 Census confirms Blackburn as his birthplace as well as where his family resided).

Trelawney

Thanks, Trelawney.

His wife, Maggie Letitia (latterly Hoyle) lived at an address near to where I live, and subsequently re-married. She obviously had his name put on the local WM.

Prior to enlisting, HOWELL was a press photographer. Whether he was able to utilise those acquired skills from the air remains unknown.

I've seen his medal card, which as stated elsewhere, carries the very basic details, and adds nothing to the overall picture.

Thanks to all those who responded. Your input is appreciated.

Paul.

• 1 month later...
Guest DuneRider

Dear Alan

You might want to add the following names, although NOT Pilots -

Sjt H.C Willis - Joined the SAAC (South African Aviation Corps) and saw service in GEA with 26 Sqn as a Workshop Mechanic. Was MID by Lt. Gen J.C. Smuts himself (LG entry 8/2/17) His SAAC Service # was Z2. On 1 November 1916 Commissioned into the African Scouts Battalion as Lt. and later joined the Kings African Rifles where he earned a MC (LG 27/7/18)

The second guy migh be of more interest to you - Lt. M.L. Pretorius - SAAC Intelligent Officer and Observer. He flew as Observer to the famed Lt Emmett as well as Lt Bell.

Regards, Paul

Reference Post 46.

Shells & Bright Stones a biography of Leo Walmsley edited by Nona Stead is going for under £6 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shells-Bright-Stones-Biography-Walmsley/dp/1858251419/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304853054&sr=1-1

It contains 30 interesting pages on Leo Walmsley's time in East Africa, including details of new airfields that he set up as Smuts' troops advanced.

Reference Post 47.

Appologies, I got the name wrong.

Delete Leo Walmsley and insert Cherry Kearton.

Harry

• 10 months later...

Discovered recently that the original Blackwood's magazines on which Walmsley's "Flying and Sport in East Africa" is based, are available on-line.

See http://www.archive.o...gazi206edinuoft and http://www.archive.o...agaz207edinuoft

- there are four articles under the title of "An Airman's Experiences in East Africa".

The content and wording is largely identical though the book has an additional chapter on game shooting and some maps and photos not in the magazine. The Walmsley Society have listed the differences for me in more detail, should anyone be interested.

BTW Cross and Cockade tell me they are still working on an article about this squadron.

Alan

Alan

Many thanks for these two links.

I'm abroad presently but when I get home I'll go through my East Africa MC & DSO list to look for other names.

Harry

• 2 months later...

Been trying to collect names of officers (& maybe men) in RFC Squadron (SA) 26. My sources are Leo Walmsley (So Many Loves & Flying and Sport in East Africa*) and Geoffrey Norris' History of the Royal Flying Corps. List so far is as follows:

? Batten

Walter D M Bell

Francis William Brett

Henry Courtney Brocklehurst

William Warren Carey-Thomas

? Collander

Gordon Shergold Creed

John OR Euan Dickson

Edwin Cheere? OR Angus Botha? Emmett

George William Thomas Garrood

? Hewitt

Gerard William Hodgkinson

Bernard H E Howard

? Mac

G St V Pawson

? Steenekampe

? van de(n) Spuy

Leo Walmsley

Have tried to find men on Ancestry.co.uk who gained their aviator's certificate at roughly the right period (1911-1917) and created the following overview:

post-63725-0-45132900-1299532278.jpg

Surprisingly there were few officers with more than one possible candidate. I need to look in their Air Ministry records (AIR 76) at the National Archives to really confirm they were in this squadron of course. Ideally the war diary too. From the photos I have found with the Aviator's Certificate I think I may have two that are in our own collection of photos - they are Howard as mentioned before and Hodgkinson who became a wing commander eventually.

Does anyone have more info about any of these guys?

* I have been unable to find Leo Walmsley's "Flying & Sport in East Africa" to buy anywhere.I have found a copy on Google Books but that only allows partial preview (though enough to find some of the names above). Does anyone know where I can get hold of a copy?

Alan

My grandfather was part of AIR 79, 26th Squadron, South African Royal Flying Corps. His name was John Louis Hubbard and his registration was either 2278 or Z278. His number was 287470. I believe he was a mechanic/engineer. Any information on him would be most welcome. Thank you, Hubbard descendant.

I was wondering if anyone had access to an article that appeared in the Cross & Cockade Vol 7 No 4 in 1976 entitled " The origins of South African Military Aviation" ?

I am researching Z185 Flt Sjt David Grant, a South African who was awarded the DCM for his services with No 26 squadron RFC in East Africa and ahven't been able to discover too much about the aviation aspect of the campaign.

Thanks. Simon

Good evening

I am also searching for Z278, John Louis Hubbard. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you Sybil

A run through the Despatches issued in the London Gazette throws up the following RFC/RAF names:

Sergeant E A ANDREWS

2nd Lieutenant N B ARBUTHNOT

Corporal (Acting Sergeant) H ATKINS

Sergeant H ATKINS

1st Class Air Mechanic C A AUSTEN

2nd Lieutenant (Temporary Lieutenant) G BAILLIE

Corporal A W BARNES

2nd Lieutenant Walter Dalrymple Maitland BELL

Lieutenant Ivor Mackenzie BELLAIRS

1st Class Air Mechanic (Acting Corporal) H H BLAKE

Corporal H A BLYTH

Corporal A BOOER

Major (Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel) Frederick William BOWHILL DSO

2nd Lieutenant Francis William BRETT

Lieutenant W P BROWN

Captain William Warren CAREY-THOMAS MC

Sergeant H CHIVERS

2nd Lieutenant G F F COLLENDER

Captain Gordon Shergold CREED

Sergeant Major S N DUNCAN

1st Class Air Mechanic J S ELLIOTT

Lieutenant Edwin Cheere EMMETT

Air Mechanic 1st Grade T FIRTH

Sergeant (Acting Flight-Sergeant) A R GEATER

Captain W R B GIFFORD

Flight Sergeant David GRANT

Lieutenant E R M GRIFFIN

Corporal A A HAMBLIN

1st Class Air Mechanic (Acting Corporal) W H HUSON

Temporary Lieutenant A E KENNEDY

Acting Air Mechanic 1st Grade Albert Edward LILES

2nd Lieutenant Robert Baillie LOVEMORE

Corporal L S MACLEAN

Air Mechanic 1st Grade A H MATHIESON

2nd Lieutenant Alfred Vivian MCKIEVER

2nd Lieutenant Marvyn Charles MOSSOP

Temporary Lieutenant F L OSMAN

1st Class Air Mechanic (Acting Corporal) L J D PARE

Corporal R S V PARSONS

1st Class Air Mechanic S C PEARSALL

Sergeant R M RAE

Sergeant A E REYNOLDS

Temporary 2nd Lieutenant A E REYNOLDS

Air Mechanic 2nd Grade John Harry SEAGER

Sergeant T SIM

Corporal C SKITT

Sergeant E C SMITH

2nd Lieutenant F C SMITH

Sergeant (Flight Sergeant) A L SOLOMONS

2nd Class Air Mechanic S STOCKMAN

Captain Kenneth Reid VAN DER SPUY MC

1st Class Air Mechanic (Acting Corporal) C WALKER

Temporary Major Gerard Percy WALLACE DSO

Temporary Lieutenant Lionel WALMSLEY MC

Leading Mechanic Alfred Frederick WARDLE

Lieutenant Francis Vivian WAY

Sergeant E WHITMILL

2nd Class Air Mechanic H WILKINSON

Flight Sergeant H L WILLIS

Air Mechanic 1st Grade Frederick WILMSHURST

Graeme

• 8 months later...

I have just been to the TNA and photographed various RFC 26 (SA) Squadron documents. I have a complete list of officers who served with the squadron (alphabetically over 21 pages), a list of officers and men at 30 December 1917, the official squadron history, most pages of the war diaries from Sept - December 1917 (but not the detailed observation or bombing reports). I have also made a document listing TNA catalogue references for the war diaries by month as the war diaries are not catalogued chronologically and they are spread over two different series (AIR 1/1247/204/7/ to AIR 1/1252/204/7/..and AIR 1/2195/209/19/1 to AIR 1/2197/209/19/21)

Happy to share these if anyone's interested.

Alan

Alan,

I hope you share it for all of us on the Forum--it sounds as if a coherent historical picture is forming for 26 Squadron

in addition to what C & C presented.

Trelawney

Here are three pages showing RFC 26 Squadron's nominal roll in Dec 1918, together with their medical categorisation. From TNA AIR 1/2196/209/19/11, Dec 1917 War Diary. I hope you can read them.

Obviously there is a limit to the number of attachments I can upload and it's far too much to transcribe everything, so other than sending attachments to people's personal emails I'm not sure I can share a huge amount here. Any other suggestions?

Alan

post-63725-0-14986900-1359653508_thumb.j

post-63725-0-00770700-1359653518_thumb.j

post-63725-0-78989100-1359653526_thumb.j

Alan,

in addition to what C & C presented.

Trelawney

Can I just check what you mean by "what Cross & Crockade presented"? As far as I'm aware their article is still in preparation or have I missed something?

Thanks.

Alan

Graeme, Alan & Trelawney

Many thanks indeed for being generous and sharing your research.

Please don't stop!

Harry

Here is supposedly the complete list of officers who were in RFC 26 (SA) Squadron, though I have just seen a note on the first page suggesting it is "probably not entirely complete".

As I am limited to uploads of 250KB at a time that means a maximum of two letters at a time. This time however I attach the note and officers who names begin with "A". The information on the right is the starting rank and their date joining the squadron.

LATER ADDITION: Meant to say this information is from TNA

History of 26 Squadron, R.A.F., AIR 1/690/21/20/26.

Alan

post-63725-0-76766200-1359748662_thumb.j

post-63725-0-19594300-1359748665_thumb.j

Officers with names beginning B & C

post-63725-0-36315000-1359800160_thumb.j

post-63725-0-39768100-1359800163_thumb.j

Can just squeeze three in this time. Note no RNAS officers with names beginning with E.

post-63725-0-60870500-1359800453_thumb.j

post-63725-0-16193700-1359800455_thumb.j

post-63725-0-68558900-1359800457_thumb.j

4 letters this time I, J, K & L, because no RNAS officers except for letter L

post-63725-0-22922300-1359821702_thumb.j

post-63725-0-55683100-1359821703_thumb.j

post-63725-0-80477200-1359821704_thumb.j

post-63725-0-34000600-1359821707_thumb.j

T, V, & W - no U, X, Y or Z unless I missed them (I found I'd photographed 2 pages twice).

So that's the lot.

With W we have the famous author Leo Walmsley - well worth reading his accounts of the air war in GEA. His sketches were also a cut above the average observer's.

Alan

post-63725-0-66771900-1359886392_thumb.j

post-63725-0-07476800-1359886394_thumb.j

post-63725-0-93298000-1359886422_thumb.j