Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African's in RFC in East Africa

olosangus

I was wondering if anyone had access to an article that appeared in the Cross & Cockade Vol 7 No 4 in 1976 entitled " The origins of South African Military Aviation" ?

I am researching Z185 Flt Sjt David Grant, a South African who was awarded the DCM for his services with No 26 squadron RFC in East Africa and ahven't been able to discover too much about the aviation aspect of the campaign.

Thanks. Simon

Have you tried searching this forum? There are several threads on aviation in the East African campaign. BTW it was not purely a South African venture, the RNAS had been invollved since 1914.

Some brief notes I have, following (superficial) research into 26 Sqdn pilot.

26 (SA) Sqdn was originally formed for service in East Africa being manned by personnel who had previously in the South African Flying Unit. It formed on 8 October 1915 at Netheravon leaving in December for Africa. Arriving at the end of January 1916 in Mombasa, it was equipped with BE2s and Farmans. It provided support to Imperial Forces engaged against the German East African colonies throughout 1916 and 1917, but by early 1918, the need for the squadron had diminished and it returned to the UK, arriving at Blandford Camp on 8 July 1918 and being disbanded the same day.

Best wishes,

GT.

Simon

Last year an article on 26 Sqn was, I believe, being prepared for Cross & Cockade.

It may have been published by now.

Why not ask the editor through the website?

Harry

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have reason to believe the attached photo is of 26 Squadron in German East Africa in 1917. The plane (a BE2) is right. I have more photos if of interest.

I am trying to confirm Henry Courtney Brocklehurst was there.

Thanks.

post-63725-000917600 1296314302.jpg

I have more photos if of interest.

Hi,

Yes, more photos would be of interest.

Thanks

Jean-Paul

Here's another:

post-63725-009400900 1296476205.jpg

Any ideas on type of plane?

First of all, thank you for the additional photos. What is the source of the photos?

As for the type of aircraft, I had a look at the first picture you posted and in my opinion, it appears to the be the same aircraft.

From the limited research that I've done on the East African campaign, the number of aircrafts used in this theater was very small and unfortunately there is not much information available.

So thank you for the pictures and hopefully others who are more knowledgeable in this area can provide additional information.

Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul, These photos were taken by Capt H C Brocklehurst whom I'm pretty certain was in German East Africa and 26 Squadron in 1917. These photos certainly seem to fit that theory but I'd like to find a squadron diary or something where his name is mentioned. Any suggestions?

The best general history I've found of 26 Squadron is this link.

Here's another photo. Anyone recognise any of the officers?

Alan

post-63725-014363600 1296495942.jpg

Jean-Paul, These photos were taken by Capt H C Brocklehurst whom I'm pretty certain was in German East Africa and 26 Squadron in 1917. These photos certainly seem to fit that theory but I'd like to find a squadron diary or something where his name is mentioned. Any suggestions?

The best general history I've found of 26 Squadron is this link.

Here's another photo. Anyone recognise any of the officers?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Nice photo. Great to see two of the pilots wearing their wings, while the last chap sitting on the right appears to have only a half-wing, so must be some sort of observer.

Wish I could provide additional information, but can't.

Good luck with your research.

Jean-Paul

Re the group photo.

l have never seen anyone in the RFC wear a tunic with no sleeves in it!

This must be unique.lts a sort of Tank Top!

For an autobiography covering 26 sqn see LEO Walmsley.lforget the actual title.

So Many Loves by Leo Walmsley has a chapter on his flying experiences in East Africa.

Harry

Any ideas on type of plane?

Alan

As you probably know, it's a BE2c, the workhorse of the RFC on the minor fronts after it was unsuitable for operations over France and Flanders. No 26 Sqn operated the type - together with some Farman F.27 'pushers' - from January 1916 until January 1918. The aeroplane in the photographs has been re-doped, or re-covered and re-doped, and the national markings omitted, as they would have been redundant in that theatre.

Regards

Gareth

Re the group photo.

l have never seen anyone in the RFC wear a tunic with no sleeves in it!

This must be unique.lts a sort of Tank Top!

For an autobiography covering 26 sqn see LEO Walmsley.lforget the actual title.

Nils,

Do you mean "Flying and Sport in Africa" by Leo Walmsley or "So Many Loves" as suggested by Bushfighter.

Just got hold of "The Royal Flying Corps - A History" by Geoffrey Norris which devotes 6 pages to Squadron 26. Mentions Leo too.

Glad you enjoyed the picture. Here's another. I assume the guys with pith helmets are South African. Is that right, do you know?

post-63725-061086300 1296688005.jpg

Alan

Alan

As you probably know, it's a BE2c, the workhorse of the RFC on the minor fronts after it was unsuitable for operations over France and Flanders. No 26 Sqn operated the type - together with some Farman F.27 'pushers' - from January 1916 until January 1918. The aeroplane in the photographs has been re-doped, or re-covered and re-doped, and the national markings omitted, as they would have been redundant in that theatre.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Gareth,

Is it easy to spot the difference between the various models of BE2?

Alan

Is it easy to spot the difference between the various models of BE2?

Alan

It's easy-ish. There's not a great visual difference between the original BE2, the BE2a and BE2b, all with their unstaggered wings and the lack of a fin on the tail. The major production BE2c introduced staggered wings and a fin. The BE2d was produced in small numbers and was distinguished from the BE2c by having a small external fuel tank under the port wing and minor changes to the cockpit.

The BE2e had a larger fin than the BE2c, and unequal span wings, with the upper wing much bigger than the lower - this mean a reduction in the number of struts and a change in the aileron control system. The BE2f was a BE2c fuselage with BE2e wings, while a BE2g was a BE2d fuselage with BE2e wings.

The most common variants were the BE2c and BE2e.

I hope that this is useful.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Gareth,

I think all the photos I have must be BE2c (or above) as they all have tail fins.

I guess this is probably one too?

post-63725-096226500 1296727348.jpg

Alan

No, it's an RE8, the aeroplane that replaced the BE series as the RFC/RAF's principal artillery spotter. The wing arrangement is very similar to that of the BE2e.

The RE8 was a great improvement over the BE2c and BE2e as the pilot occupied the front cockpit, giving the observer in the rear a better field of view and field of fire.

Cheers

Gareth

Alan

No, it's an RE8, the aeroplane that replaced the BE series as the RFC/RAF's principal artillery spotter. The wing arrangement is very similar to that of the BE2e.

The RE8 was a great improvement over the BE2c and BE2e as the pilot occupied the front cockpit, giving the observer in the rear a better field of view and field of fire.

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks again, Gareth,

I also have this one of a BE2 (I think!) - not in GEA - but it has a different tail by the look of it. The serial number (A26) however doesn't seem to match anything I can find.

post-63725-002015400 1296743300.jpg

Alan

Alan

The aeroplane is a very early Airco DH4. I'd say that it's probably A2126, the second DH4 produced (other than prototypes) which served as a trainer with No 44 Reserve Squadron RFC from April 1917. From the civilians gathered about the machine, the photo may have been taken prior to delivery to the RFC.

Unfortunately for us latter-day enthusiasts, black serial numbers don't contrast with the red rudder stripe in photographs taken with the orthochromatic film commonly used during the Great War period.

Regards

Gareth

Alan

The aeroplane is a very early Airco DH4. I'd say that it's probably A2126, the second DH4 produced (other than prototypes) which served as a trainer with No 44 Reserve Squadron RFC from April 1917. From the civilians gathered about the machine, the photo may have been taken prior to delivery to the RFC.

Unfortunately for us latter-day enthusiasts, black serial numbers don't contrast with the red rudder stripe in photographs taken with the orthochromatic film commonly used during the Great War period.

Regards

Gareth

Many thanks yet again, Gareth. I obviously have lots to learn still.

I have quite a few more WW1 plane piccies if you're interested (of varying quality), but I should perhaps post them in a new topic.

Alan

Alan

I'm sure I speak on behalf of all the Pals with an aviation interest when I say that I'd love to see more of your photographs.

Cheers

Gareth

Alan

I'm sure I speak on behalf of all the Pals with an aviation interest when I say that I'd love to see more of your photographs.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth,

Will do, but I'll add them to a more appropriate topic, as almost none are of German East Africa, I'll use the one I have already started on Plane Identification.

Alan