The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25692 L/ Sgt F W R BURKE, Royal Dublin Fusiliera

corisande

My grandfather served in the 10th RDF and I have notes that he wrote about his experiences. Included in these is an event during the RDF relief of Dublin Castle. It concerns the death of his sergeant, RW Burke

"On entering the Castle we found very few troops in occupation, and to best of my knowledge we were the only troops in control at that time. So we decided on placing sniper posts at various vantage points in order to curtail the sniping that we were receiving from houses overlooking the Castle. Sergeant Burke, who was an army schoolmaster, was killed when he and I were climbing a ladder to get up on to the roof to establish a point to deal with snipers. Burke was the finest type of man. He and I were great friends. He was a good soldier and it was sad that he should pass out in the way that he did. "

CWGC gives 25692 L/ Sergeant Frederick William Robert BURKE 10th Battalion died 28 April 1916 age 21 buried Grangegorman Military Cemetery. Son of Maj. John Burke, D.S.O., M.C., D.C.M., of 62, Grove Ave., Twickenham.

From a casualty list Sgt Burke appears to have enlisted in Gravesend

Anyone able to add any more about Sgt Burke in particular.

corisande

No record found on Ancestry UK.

Sotonmate

corisande

No record found on Ancestry UK.

Sotonmate

Thanks for looking - I should have thought of trying that myself!!

• 1 month later...

hi Corisande

just checking out your earlier posts and can you tell me if you are interested in both Sgt Burkes? I'm sure that I might have some details on the one killed near Dublin Castle?

Please advise

Lyn

The Sgt Burke that I am particularly interested in is the one killed at Dublin Castle, but with the 10th RDF and that Dublin Casle was the "real" Dublin Castle. In other words in Dublin during the Easter Rising.

Sgt Burke was killed when climbing a ladder at Dublin Castle at the start of the rising, when the 10th RDF fought their way through from Royal Barracks to relieve the Castle. My grandfather was climbing the same ladder when Sgt Burke was hit. Anything you have on him would be very welcome.

On entering the Castle we found very few troops in occupation, and to best of my knowledge we were the only troops in control at that time. So we decided on placing sniper posts at various vantage points in order to curtail the sniping that we were receiving from houses overlooking the Castle. Sergeant Burke, who was an army schoolmaster, was killed when he and I were climbing a ladder to get up on to the roof to establish a point to deal with snipers. Burke was the finest type of man. He and I were great friends. He was a good soldier and it was sad that he should pass out in the way that he did.

I suspect that you have info on 6874 Sgt Burke, 1st RDF, on the Helles memorial who died 29/06/1915. As you have gathered, I am starting to research Gallipoli with the RDF at the moment, so I would be interested in him as well.

Hi,

He is listed in The Times on 25 May 1915.

Regards Mark

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Killed

25692 Lance Sergeant W R Burke

6745 Sergeant H Hare

19222 Corporal H Humphreys

Wounded

23682 Private William Baird

22959 Private James Campbell (Enlisted 24.7.15 into 8th Bn for Home Service , Posted 5th Bn 28.12.15, Discharged 11.9.16 due to Sickness. Not wounded during the Rising was already in Hospital sick awaiting discharge 20th April 1915)

25001 Private Joseph Coroner

25199 Lance Corporal Matthew Kerrigan later transferred to Royal Engineers nos. 355458, WR/204904, 601956, & WR/101007

25694 Lance Corporal L Nolan

24934 Private Robert A Smith (Smyth on MIC)

23721 Lance Corpora Michael Smuller (Smullen on MIC) KIA 6 May 1918 1st Bn France

post-14045-1258535978.jpg

Mark

Thanks. I have the bare facts of his death. Trying to plug around to see if I can unearth something about the man himself

Looking at the list of dead, somewhat ironic that two of those killed were Burke & Hare.

• 7 years later...