Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Latest Item in my Collection

DavoT

Hi all,

hope this is the right spot. Just thought I'd share one of my latest additions to my collection. Don't tend to see them much out here so I snapped it up. Needs a bit of a clean but overall it's in pretty good shape for its age.

Cheers,

David

post-27290-1253251152.jpg

That colour is fairly specific to 1918 - I wouldn't clean it except with soapy water.

I would be interested in seeing any Hudsons dated 1918 that are shiny chrome like the previous and subsequent years.

Mick

Hi all,

hope this is the right spot. Just thought I'd share one of my latest additions to my collection. Don't tend to see them much out here so I snapped it up. Needs a bit of a clean but overall it's in pretty good shape for its age.

Cheers,

David

post-27290-1253251152.jpg

Hi David

i really like british whistles, and this one is a good example!

I don't know much about them, but if i remember well your should have been coated with a nickel finish ( i can see part of the finish near the writing and on the edges..). Were this whistles made only for the army? I've seen severals with date and broad arrow markings (mostly JHudson &co), so maybe the ones without broad arrow could be civilian or police whistles....

Does anybody know of any Birmingham factory that produced both oilers and whistles?

I have one made of bakelite ("escargot" shape) that came with a WWII map case, complete with lanyard but i'm not sure it's a military model.

cheers,

Ale

I suspect that the nickel coating was omitted in 1918 because I haven't seen many, if any 1918 hudsons coated.

Mick

That colour is fairly specific to 1918 - I wouldn't clean it except with soapy water.

Mick,

thanks for that tip, I'll give it a go.

Ale,

thanks for your comments also. My sample doesn't have the broad arrow.

Cheers,

David

Ale,

thanks for your comments also. My sample doesn't have the broad arrow.

Hopefully not teaching Granny to suck eggs, but did you check the loop for the leather retaining strap? I have a near identical whistle (with a blackened finish instead), but the broad arrow is very tiny, and on the loop.

It doesn't matter whether it has a date or broad arrow - All types were used.

Mick