Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Henry Thorndel

ncpierce

Hi,

After looking up the details of my ancesters who gave their lives I am now looking at those who served and survived.

A trawl of dates gives me a likely list of targets to search for. One man who is of interest is my great grandfather Alfred Henry Thorndel. All I know is that he was born in 1875 in Wotton, Surrey, married in Apr 1903 in Abinger, Surrey and had two children with his wide, Alice Lillian Augusta Ford. The two children were Alfred Arthur (born 1904) and Alice Eva (born 1909).

My dad has now found the photo below which shows him in uniform. Looking at my gradmother I reckon she is probably about 5 so would date the picture around 1914-1915.

Thorndel_Scan.jpg

Thorndel_Scan_01.jpg

Can anyone identify the uniform that he is wearing. He does not appear to have a MIC or any other service records available. He did not die in conflict and died in Ewell, Surrey in 1963. The sleeve badge on the left arm seems to say "RINK..."?

Thanks

Nigel

Well, i've waited patiently for an expert to arrive so i'm going to have a stab at the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, as I have read on this forum that their shoulder title said "R INNIS" between 1908 and 1915.

Nigel

I have looked all over Ancestry I can not find anything.

Cap badge sorry ....IPT says r innis i agree just see the royal fusiliers or royal engineers

Cheers

Atnomis

Just thinking aloud on this one, it may be that Alfred didn't go overseas as to why he has no MIC. His age is 35, if this is him, on the 1911 Census so he's pushing 40 in 1916.

It could have been through something like ill-health etc that negated the fact that he could serve at the front.

The closest match to a surname is THORNDELL but he does not fit the criteria.

Steve

Just thinking aloud on this one, it may be that Alfred didn't go overseas as to why he has no MIC. His age is 35, if this is him, on the 1911 Census so he's pushing 40 in 1916.

It could have been through something like ill-health etc that negated the fact that he could serve at the front.

The closest match to a surname is THORNDELL but he does not fit the criteria.

Steve

Thanks for the reponses chaps.

I am just wondering how come someone from Wotton/Dorking area of Surrey ended up in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers? He certainly was of an age at the time of the war when he may have been borderline to go to the front if not "fit". I wil ask my father if there were any known illness that might have prevented him going to the front.

Nigel