Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
aeroraider

Silver War Badges to Women

aeroraider

Does anyone know how many Silver War Badges were awarded to female recipients in the First World War?

HarryBettsMCDCM
Does anyone know how many Silver War Badges were awarded to female recipients in the First World War?

I believe the OMRS Journal carried an article on this subject around 10~12 Years ago?

Ed Matthews

Yes, there was an article in the Spring 1995 edition of the OMRS journal but no mention was made of the number issued to female recipients.

I can only add that eligibility for the award of an SWB was only extended to women (i.e. Nurses, VAD, QMAAC etc) by AO291 of 1918.

Ed

aeroraider

Thanks for the information. I have checked the relevant issue of the OMRS Journal. If anyone should know of any other sources, let me know.

Ed Matthews

Further to my earlier reply, I can now confirm the following (from some old correspondence!):-

* there are three SWB volumes, one for QAIMNS and TFNS, one for QMAAC and one for VAD and Red Cross.

* given that there are 600 pages with anything ranging from 1 to 8 entries per page, I would estimate that there were very approximately 2,500 SWB's issued to women.

Hope this helps.

Ed