Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WHICH REGIMENT NAMED ON MEDALS

sueburden

Can someone please tell me which Regiment would appear on a soldiers Trio if they had served in several different Regiments during the war.

Sue

Usually the first regiment he served abroad with.

Davie

Thank you David.

Can I ask another question.

I found today of the Fisher Patton Red Baron site a trio with my Grandfathers name, right regiment and correct rank, but there is a number on the left hand side which is not his number. Not sure if this is their reference number. If it is the regiment number, they are not his.

This list is dated 2004 so even if they are his I would not hold out to much hope.

Any advice please.

Sue

I think its always the first regiment served in a theatre of war. The only sort of exeptions are RNAS and RFC where you can get the star to RNAS or RFC and the pair to the RAF. An officers unit is usualy / always? on the star but not on the pair.

Thanks welsh doc.

He went to France with 1/7th Royal Warwicks, previously was a Territorial. Transferred to Royal Berks Labour Corps and then RD.C.

Thanks welsh doc.

He went to France with 1/7th Royal Warwicks, previously was a Territorial. Transferred to Royal Berks Labour Corps and then RD.C.

Ralph

Name is Ernest William Hancox.

Have MIC

Reads as follows:

From top to bottom

R,Berks R. A/CPL 29939

LABC 98004

RDC 84991

but went to France 22.3.1915 with 1/7th Royal Warwickshire

Sue

Sue

How do you know he went to france on that date.

His MIC only mentions a pair which would indicate he went to france in 1916 .

Davie

Research by 14/18. Chris said "Card makes no mention of 1914-15 Star which he must have quaified for in his first period of service with Royal Warwickshire. There is no second index card covering his earlier period of service and we assume it has been lost at some point"

Sue

Research by 14/18. Chris said "Card makes no mention of 1914-15 Star which he must have quaified for in his first period of service with Royal Warwickshire. There is no second index card covering his earlier period of service and we assume it has been lost at some point"

Sue

Did your researcher find his service papers as they do not appear to be on Ancestry ?

If not where did he get the information about his overseas service whith the 1/7 warwk's

Davie

Davie

Yes have all service papers, they are on Ancestry. Have all his Territorial papers, attestation form for Territorials 1/7th Warwickshire. He joined Territorials in 1909, embodied on 5th August 1914. France March 1915. Time served May 1916 but two months later was eligible for conscription again. He was then medical category B11. Placed as Prive 29939 in RDC. In Sept 1916 was Acting Corporal in Labour Corps. Returned to England July 1918.

Perhaps I did not make it clear enough but research was done by Long Long Trail 1914/18 research so know it is correct.

Thanks for the reply Davie.

Sue

Ralph

Name is Ernest William Hancox.

Have MIC

Reads as follows:

From top to bottom

R,Berks R. A/CPL 29939

LABC 98004

RDC 84991

Sue

If this is your man, the 29939 equates to a late 1916 issued number.

He was with the, this is where his number for L.C. 98004 puts him, 13th Bn.(Infantry Labour Company) Royal Berkshire Regiment, later the 164th Labour Company of the Labour Corps.

The Royal Defence Corps number indicates, I think, 1918 service in this country, if other numbers in the same block are anything to go by.

One of the sets of medals I have, to a man who was with the Linc.R., Northumberland Fusiliers, then the R.D.C.(227 digits away from your man) was protecting an explosives factory near Brighouse in Yorkshire. The same man was on bridge watching and prisoner movement duties in the South of England.

Though, you never can tell without the paperwork.

Dick

If you G.D. was time served with the Warwicks could this be his other MIC?

Description Medal card of Hancox, Ernest

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1573 Private

looks like a terri number . Its possible he was awarded 2 lots of medals the 1914 or 15 star trio to the Warwicks very likley with a terri prefix on the star and later a pair to the Berks. Normaly there is mention of the medals being returned but sometimes the winners kept both pairs unless they were found out, (and why not!).

If you G.D. was time served with the Warwicks could this be his other MIC?

Description Medal card of Hancox, Ernest

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1573 Private

looks like a terri number . Its possible he was awarded 2 lots of medals the 1914 or 15 star trio to the Warwicks very likley with a terri prefix on the star and later a pair to the Berks. Normaly there is mention of the medals being returned but sometimes the winners kept both pairs unless they were found out, (and why not!).

Looks like he DoW and was entitled to a 1914 Star, and the 2nd Warwicks were a regular unit. It does look like a TF number, but i don't think any got out there that quickly.

There are as you say 2x MIC's, one the original, which was lost for a time. Unlikely to have got two sets of gongs, however :P

06/10/1914 2/War. R. landed at Zeebrugge. He was in the advanced party landing on the 4th October, 1914.

Dick

Bingo and Welshdoc

Thanks for the replies.

The only numbers I have for him are A/Cpl 29939 13 Lab Bn R Berks

98007 164Co Labour Corps

98007 179 Lab Corps

Private B Company 7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Territorials No 1179.

164 Co is spot on and that is a brilliant bit of info about Yorkshire.

He died of heart disease in 1921 Bingo so 1573 is not him. It never occurred to me that he might have another MIC so thanks for that.

Re the possible medals I have emailed the Fisher Patton company but am not very hopeful, if I did find his medals it would be wonderful.

Thanks again everybody for all the replies.

Sue