Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Roll query

mmm45

Hi

Trying to help someone on another site.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the meaning of letters O,B,W would signify in the Theatre of War served columns on Actual Medal Roll books at Kew?

They refer to a 7th North Staffs lad all other entrys have a mark in them

Thanks

Ady

Ady

I am puzzling over what you mean ? In the centre of the forms in WO329 there are several columns headed " Theatre of War in which served". I can't recall there normally being the usual typed data entered there.

On the forms where I recollect seeing marks,they are usually of a nature of blue pencil,maybe letters,maybe ticks,etc,which I have always taken to be part of the assurance process that all the steps in the checking and preparation of the Roll have been made. So in my opinion nothing more than the administrative and issue process.

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate

Yes thats the columns....in the rest on the page are ticks in this particular guys the letters in my first post are present.I havent seen the roll just going off what was on the post on the other forum.

Puzzling?

Ady

I was puzzling over what the OBW, O, or other marks that appear on the sheet some time ago. I also see SWB in the same place on some men of the Lincolnshire Rolls I have.

The North Staffs were the administrated by the Lichfield office, as were the Lincs, The Notts & Derbys, and the South Staffs. Is it peculiar to this office?

Offering up the MIC against the Medal Roll and looking for similarities throws nothing in particular up.

When the Medal Roll has writing in pen to the right side, invariably there was a returned medal or a problem with their issue in some way. Well, that is what I see when I offer them up side by side.

Has Williamson anything to say on the markings of Medal Rolls?

I don't have my books to hand.

Dick