Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Ernest Lawrence Julian - Royal Dublin Fusiliers

liverpool annie

I would appreciate some help please - I'm trying to find out about this young man !

In Memory of

Lieutenant ERNEST LAWRENCE JULIAN

"D" Coy. 7th Bn., Royal Dublin Fusiliers

who died age 36

on 08 August 1915

Son of the late John and Margaret Julian, of Drumbane, Birr, King's County. Held the Reid Professorship of Criminal Law, Trinity College, Dublin. Educated at Charterhouse, and Trinity College, Dublin.

Remembered with honour

HELLES MEMORIAL

Ernest L Julian.

A barrister and Reid Professor of Law at Trinity College, Dublin, Julian was elected to an officer's commission by his fellow Pals. Julian's short life of brilliant promise was prematurely ended when he died of wounds after leading his men during the assault on Chocolate Hill on August 7. He died of his injuries the next day on a hospital ship, aged 36, and was buried at sea.

I would appreciate some help please - I'm trying to find out about this young man !

In Memory of

You need to read "The Pals at Suvla Bay" by Henry Hanna Published in December 31, 1998, Irish Academic Press Ltd. ISBN 10: 0716526603 ISBN 13: 9780716526605

Which is about D Company.

Google for it, and you can buy it either from Amazon or AbeBooks

In Memory of

who died age 36

on 08 August 1915

Son of the late John and Margaret Julian, of Drumbane, Birr, King's County. Held the Reid Professorship of Criminal Law, Trinity College, Dublin. Educated at Charterhouse, and Trinity College, Dublin.

Remembered with honour

HELLES MEMORIAL

Ernest L Julian.

A barrister and Reid Professor of Law at Trinity College, Dublin, Julian was elected to an officer's commission by his fellow Pals. Julian's short life of brilliant promise was prematurely ended when he died of wounds after leading his men during the assault on Chocolate Hill on August 7. He died of his injuries the next day on a hospital ship, aged 36, and was buried at sea.

Hi Annie,

E.L.Julian appears in the publication 'Our Heroes' pages 128/129, of which I am sure you will be aware. There is a short biography and also a small portrait. He also appears in 'The Pals at Suvla Bay' pages 202/203, similar details with a slightly better portrait. He also receives a brief mention as being amongst the killed, on page 79:-

"--the 7th Dublins had a big casualty list of over one hundred including Major Tippet and Lieutenant Julian. 'D' Company lost twenty-two altogether."

I am not sure that this will tell you anything that you do not already know, but I hope it's of some use. If you need any expansion of these details, please let me know.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Annie,

He is on the 1911 census as living in Dublin, Barrister at Law, with his Mother and two servants.

Just for some background information.

Peter

Thank you all very much ! ... I knew about the books but I don't have copies of them unfortunately ! ;)

I have been told that there was a photograph of Lt E J Julian in The War Illustrated of 15 January 1916 .... but I don't have that either !! :blink:

Thanks again though for your help and the background information !

Annie

Annie

He is named on the Barrister's Memorial in Dublin.

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html/showM...ial.php?show=89

He was also a coach at the University of Dublin Boat Club.

Dave

Thank you Dave ... thats terrific !

Guess what ? I just found him on lulu !!!!! ... thought you might like to see him ! :)

EDIT ... he came out a little bit big though !! .... just made him smaller .....

post-7335-1253117750.jpg

There is quite a lot about him in "Wigs and Guns. Irish Barristers in the Great War", by Anthony P. Quinn, Dublin, Four Courts Press, 2006. (ISBN 978-1-85182-935-4). There is also a photo of his boat crew of 1902. If you send me your e-mail address in a PM I can send a PDF of the relevant pages.

He also appears on two memorials in St. Anne's Church, Dublin: the Great War Memorial and the Julian and Cullinan Memorial.

BTW, I have an original copy of "Our Heroes" with a better version of the same photo as above. I can send you that, too.

Michael

Guess what ? I just found him on lulu !!!!! ... thought you might like to see him ! :)

Annie, where or what is lulu? I am looking for some elusive photos myself.

Michael