Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Army Medical Corps Cap

barrieduncan

I've had this tattered cap for quite some time now and I've never really looked into what it was I actually bought. I wonder what some of the forum Pals with some knowledge on uniforms or the RAMC (or both!) make of this and whether they can say if it's from the time of the Great War, and what rank might have worn it. It was sold as a Great War Officer's cap, but as I got it pretty cheap, I wasn't too bothered if it was 'genuine' or not. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Barrie

P.S. The lip ornament didn't come as part of the sale :P

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4908.jpg

Hello Barrie,

I claim no expertise, but I would think that the label points to it being a local purchase from a supplier in the Middle East and as officers were expected to provide their own uniforms, it fits that it would have been bought by an officer. A soldier would have got his replacement cap from the 'Quarter-bloke' by exchanging his unserviceable one or by 'going diffy', in other words telling the stores that he had lost it somehow and being billed for the replacement.

I hope this helps until someone 'in the know' comes along.

Cheers,

Nigel

Interesting cap - the styling does look ok for a late or early post-war cap. The thick chinstrap is post-war, but I would have expected a post-war cap to have regimental buttons, not pressed-leather football buttons. A late war cap with a later replaced chinstrap, or an early post-war cap would be my guess.

I claim no expertise, but I would think that the label points to it being a local purchase from a supplier in the Middle East.

Ismailia is in Egypt apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isma%C3%AFlia

Many thanks for the replies gentlemen, much appreciated. I thought that it was most likely officer's given where it was made, but wasn't completely sure. There is a clear plastic sheet inside the cap (can just see the reflection on the interior photo), would this have been original or has it been added to stop someone's greasy napper getting it all grotty inside?

Thanks again

Barrie

Splendid 'tache.

It is indeed - I thought it set it off rather well :P

There is a clear plastic sheet inside the cap (can just see the reflection on the interior photo), would this have been original or has it been added to stop someone's greasy napper getting it all grotty inside?

Probably original and not a later addition.

Ismailia is where Australian hospital ships embarked wounded, rather then going right up the suez canal. The Australian's also had No 2 Australian Casualty Clearing Station and 1st Australian Stationary Hospital in Ismailia. The site is still used by the Egyptian army on the banks of the canal. All medical which ties in with the cap badge. The leather buttons are typical still of the local leather work peddled to those transiting the canal today.

Alan

That's brilliant. Thanks very much for the additional information folks and for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Barrie