The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RSM Photo ID

The Guardroom

Hi,

another photo recently found and I can't make out the Regt from the collar badge or buttons. Perhaps Royal Horse Guards ?

Also can't quite make out surname on back ?

Any help of info on this man would be a help.

post-6503-1253018968.jpg

post-6503-1253019051.jpg

Thanks Rjaydee, for confirmation of his surname.

The collar badges don't look like Middx prince of wales plumes though, so think the photo may be of him in another regt. Perhaps before he went overseas.

Does the MIC rank mean he went overseas after his rank as RSM ? If so then this may be the case having been an RSM at home service only.

Can you illustrate MIC card ?

Rgds,

Alan

The GR

I thought,what a splendid Officer,even though he has the RSM badges !

His MIC doesn't mention RSM but does mention Lt and QM,and Capt & (? it doesn't look like QM though).

Survived the War, as he applies for his medals in 1920.

The house is Maison Dieu,for those with spare rooms in Milnrow !

I guess the 8th Battalion shown relates to the 1/8th,with 70Bde/8Div around the time of his signing the card,I make that as the aftermath of Loos and probably in the line thereabouts at the end of 1915.

Maybe the pic was done in pre-War service as an RSM and he became an Officer on re-joining.

Sotonmate

....with an MC.

London Gazette 11-1-1919

Qrmr. and Lt. Eric Henry Lewin, 8th Bn., Midd'x R., T.F.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When in charge of a ration convoy the enenmy opened heavy artillery fire of gas and high explosive shells. In spite of casualties to personnel and animals he handled the convoy with coolness and skill, and was successful in moving it to a place of safety.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31119/supplements/630

LG 12-3-1917

Middlesex Regt.—The surname of Lt. and Qr.-Mr. E. H. Lewin is as now described, and not as previously stated.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/299...upplements/2473

LG 26-5-1919

War Office,

26th May, 1922.

TERRITORIAL, ARMY.

The undermentioned Qrmrs. relinquish their commns. and retain their rank. 30th Sept. 1921: —

8th Bn., Midd'x R.—Capt. E. H. Lewin, M.C.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/32712/pages/4065

Steve.

Thanks all for the detail on Lewin.

I shall definately go seek out his file at the NA having seen his service stretched from 1908 to 1922.

A good story to unfold I am sure.

Cheers.

The GR

Maybe the pic was done in pre-War service as an RSM and he became an Officer on re-joining.

Sotonmate

No, definitely not. The WO Class 1 badge was brought into use in 1915: I can supply an 'earliest possible' date if needs be.

We'd need a good shot of the collars to define the regiment. I downloaded the photo but before I can identify them properly they blur. They seem to be either kings crowns with lion above or bugle and mullet of the Scottish Rifles, but I'm not 100% about either.