Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info about Private George Lodge 2/6 Gloucestershire Regt.

kinsalegreg

I think Private Lodge might be my great uncle. I have got some details from the CWGC site but would welcome any more relating to his service. He died on August 24th 1917 so I am guessing it was a result of wounds during the battle of Langemarck but I can't find a great deal about this.

I have read his MIC and do not understand why two numbers are given - 265817 and 3174. Also, why does the MIC omit to mention his death and when he entered theatre ?

Many thanks

Hi

With regard to the two numbers the Regiment was renumbered in 1917.

A relative of mine in the 5th Battalion had the number 2728TF when enrolled and was renumbered 240736 in 1917.

Regards

Rogerh

Hope the link to the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum web site works as I believe this is your soldier:-

http://www.glosters.org.uk/soldier/22785

States that he died of wounds. My great uncle was killed on 16th August 1917 in the Battle of Langemark and has no known grave and is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

There is an excellent book "The Gloucestershire Regiment In The War 1914 -1918" by Everard Wyrall and obtainable from the Museum or the Naval and Military Press.

It does however concentrate on the 1/4, 1/5 and 1/6 battalions rather than the 2/4, 2/5 and 2/6th.

kinsalegreg

If he was entitled to the 1914-1915 Star they then entered the Date into Theatre. Barring their error you have to assume that he entered the fray after December 1915. This could be borne out by the fact that the 2/6 Bn landed in France in May 1916.

Sotonmate

• 3 weeks later...