Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory: PGA/210B ?

Andrew Clark

Hello, any help deciphering my great grandfather's MIC would be greatly appreciated. I have trawled the LLT and NA websites as well as the queries on this site from other members but am still left scratching my head.

Does an entry on the MIC next to "Victory" which reads PGA/210B (possibly PjA) give any indication as to the theatre of war etc as there is very little info recorded on the card? Does this mean that he was awarded the Victory Medal? And does a ditto entry next to "British" underneath this also mean another medal?

I feel like I'm working backwards in order to get some info. on a man I remember from my childhood but who is proving very elusive in my family tree search. I can only hope that this MIC refers to the right John Joseph Henderson. I only know that on his daughter's marraige cert. he is listed as "Gunner R.A." (aswell as "General Labourer") and that the family story is that he lied about his age to enlist and be with his brother.

Thanks for any help

Regards

Andrew

Does an entry on the MIC next to "Victory" which reads PGA/210B (possibly PjA) give any indication as to the theatre of war etc as there is very little info recorded on the card? Does this mean that he was awarded the Victory Medal? And does a ditto entry next to "British" underneath this also mean another medal?

Q1 Should be the Medal Roll reference number.

Q2 Yes - British War Medal

Is there an entry in lower left-hand corner? This should give you theatre of war.

I have had a look at his card and it is as Steve says RGA/210b Page 11018 medal roll held at Kew. No theatre of war and no date which suggests wherever he was it was after Dec 1915. Ralph.

Sorry Andrew but Ancestry have it wrong again. It is a John T Henderson, T for Thomas..... confirmed. NOT John J

Rgds Paul

Edit: Just noticed also misfiled under NA online Mic's

Regrettably, there are a few cards for "John Henderson" in the Artillery (RGA, RFA, CanFA) and the middle name doesn't really help by itself. Many records left it or them out. I tend to agree that the "John J" mentioned above is actually "John T" and the Archives have it wrong. Sorry. Antony.

Andrew,

the edit is by me.

Gnr 183151 John HENDERSON RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) is indexed under Ancestry and NA online as John J HENDERSON.

His actual roll shows him to be Gnr John Thomas HENDERSON*

Do you know he actually served abroad?

What is his age on the Certificate you refer to and what year, and what area?

Steve,

Yes that is the same one

Rgds Paul

*Edit to incorrect name.

Andrew,

the edit is by me.

Gnr 183151 John HENDERSON RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) is indexed under Ancestry and NA online as John J HENDERSON.

His actual roll shows him to be Gnr John Thomas RAWLINSON.

Do you know he actually served abroad?

What is his age on the Certificate you refer to and what year, and what area?

Steve,

Yes that is the same one

Rgds Paul

Forgive me, Paul, but where the heck does the "Rawlinson" come from? I looked at your post, went on Ancestry and looked at 183151 and saw "John T" not "John J" Henderson. Archives also shows 183151 as "John J" but I'm quite willing to believe somebody mistook "T" for "J". However, I can't see anybody, even at Ancestry, getting "Henderson" mixed up with "Rawlinson". Are you saying that the Rolls are completely at odds with the MIC - or am I getting too old for this?

Andrew: hang in there for now. Antony

Antony,

no...just my typo and me trying to do to many replies at once.

Post should read.

Andrew,

the edit is by me.

His actual roll shows him to be Gnr John Thomas HENDERSON.

Rgds...

slap wrists...Paul

Thanks Antony and Paul for your perserverence and patience. I won't request details of this man as it is clearly not my great grandfather. Back to the drawing board for me.

Regards

Andrew

Good luck, Andrew.

Thanks for clarification, Paul. I wish we could get Ancestry to correct these basic errors. Yours, A.