Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'RE' uniform expert needed

mike331278

I just recieved this photo of my Gt Grandfather William Lindsay in the military, He was born 1872 in Burntisland, Fife, Scotland, I know he was living in Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland in 1898 because he got married then and started having kids from that point onwards, he died in 1915 from phthisis in Collinton Hospital, Edinburgh and I know that he worked or had worked in a place that was called Castle Mills, Edinburgh and he cured rubber, think they made wellington boots.

I am told my Grandfather is on the left of the photo, can anyone help with the regiment info, time period, Rank etc and where they would have been based? in the photo my Gt GF looks in his early 20's?? Any idea why the front two are holding some kind of stick?

I think its Hussar's Regiment? but have no idea?

Thanks for any help

Michael

See attached photo link

http://cid-62923e796518ba4f.skydrive.live....%20-%201915.jpg

Click on the photo to enlarge

Hello Michael,

A nice photo. If your Gt Grandfather is on the left of the photo, he is a private soldier in the Royal Engineers or Royal Artillery. The man who will be able to give you a definitive answer is Grumpy. I would guess the period is the early 1900s. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

Many thanks Ironduke,

I have been google -ing images and I think the regiment might be 13th Hussars during mid/late 1890s?

How do I get in contact with Grumpy :)

Just to keep this going, the sticks are 'swagger sticks', carried by soldiers when walking out in uniform. Added a touch of smartness in those days, but probably grounds for arrest today!

Hello Michael,

The man in the middle has a flaming grenade below his stripe, that's what made me think R E or R A.

'How do I get in contact with Grumpy' - I'm sure he'll reply when he spots your post but if you want to contact him, click on the MEMBERS box at the top of the page and search for Grumpy - he's unique ! You could then contact via email or PM.

Regards

Ron

Hold on there! If I have expertise, it is for infantry.

I believe the men are RE, wearing the 7-button home service frock. If this is so, the man with one chevron is probably a 'second corporal'. He also has a grenade badge, which I think was the badge of a submarine miner but might be an instructor. Period 1890 to 1905 -ish.

My best advice is to repost, title 'RE uniform expert needed.

I agree with Grumpy - 'Royal Egineers' due to the position of the large grenade all three are wearing on the right cuff. The jacket looks more scarlet with the darker facings of the RE.

I also have a photo of a piper of the Tyne Electrical Engineers taken pre-1908 and he also wears the large grenade on the right cuff of his pipers uniform.

Definitely RE. I have a group photo of the NCO's of the Falmouth Submarine Miners Volunteers dated 1891and the uniform is identical, including the cuff lace.

TR

Is RE Royal Engineers, if so how many different types / regiments names is there that where possibly were they based. My Gt Grandfather was born in Burntisland, Fife, and somehow he got married n Edinburgh 1898 and was still living in Edinburgh after getting married.

I would like to try and find information of what the full Regiment name was? and how would I find out when he enlisted? I have no idea where to look? any help or information would be appreciated.

Michael

Hello Michael,

I know nothing about uniforms but is there anyway it could be Royal Scots?

Theres service papers on Ancestry for a 4120 Pte William Lindsay The Royal Scots and the information given sounds very much like your Gt Grandfather. Born Fife abt 1873, lived and married Edinburgh 1897, child born in Leath 1899 etc.

Wife and childs name was Isabella.

Could all be coinsidences of course...

Steve.

Definitely RE. I have a group photo of the NCO's of the Falmouth Submarine Miners Volunteers dated 1891and the uniform is identical, including the cuff lace.

TR

Terry: including the grenade badge, please?

Thank you Terry.

A confession: I have now looked at the text book I wrote in 1984, and, lo and behold, grenade lower right for submarine miners RE. Same design, different materials, VF and Regular.

Hi Michael

If your Gt Grandfather was a Submarine Miner then he would have served in what was the fore runner of 416 (Edinburgh) Field Company Royal Engineers, I'm unsure what the Unit designation was before then but I might be able to find out, it may indeed have been 416.

The role of Submarine Miner's was removed from the RE in 1905, which might help date your photo, if you go to the link below, click on the heading "Submarine Mining" in the top centre of the page then click on the link "Brief history of Submarine Mining" it'll give you what it says on the packet.

http://www.remuseum.org.uk/rem_his_special.htm

Men from 416 Fd Coy served during WW1 and one of their members Cpl James McPhie won the VC on 14th October 1918. 416 later became 104 (City Of Edinburgh) Fd Sqn RE(V) in the 1960's and was based on Lanark Road, they were part of my old Regiment, 71 (Scottish) Engineer Regiment (V), the Regiment was reformed in 1999 and 104 was disbanded along with My old Sqn 124 Fd Sqn RE (V).

I'll speak to one of my old mates from 104 and see if he can find more info on the Submarine Miners for you, in the meantime I've included below a link to the Edinburgh RE Association, if you contact them, they should be able to help.

http://edinburghsappers.co.uk/default.aspx

416 Fd Coy's silver is now held in trust at 102 Sqn RE based in Paisley, who were part of the old 71 Regt and were the only unit retained in the new 71 Regt, incidentaly, 104 (City of Edinburgh) Fd Sqn (V) retained a torpedo representing their Submarine Mining history as part of their Unit insignia up till their disbandment, It's on the menu below from a 104 reunion in 2008. Hope this helps.

post-34049-1253498769.jpg

• 7 years later...

Not sure if this helps but I have identified another soldier Willie Weir, he is in the original photo on the bottom right with my Gt Grandfather.

In 1881 Census William Lindsay was aged 9 living in Barony Street, Leith with his mother Mary, brother Thomas aged 1 and Brother John aged 4

In 1891 census William Lindsay was aged 19 and living in 16 Johnston Terrace, Edinburgh with his brother Thomas and sister Mary  685/04 002/00 013

I think the photo may have been taken in or around very late c1887s onwards to c1890's possibly Edinburgh?  My grandfather had a wife Jane Henderson, they married 1898 Leith Edinburgh.

In 1901 Census he was living in Leith with wife Jane and daughter Elizabeth b1899, and son Betram 1900

The new photo below is that of Willie Weir which I'm hoping might help solve the regiment?

He was listed as living with with my Gt Grandparents on 1911 Census in Edinburgh as a boarder

I was hoping someone may find a military link with both names  / regiments etc

William Lindsay b1872 Burntisland Fife

William Weir Abt 1870  he was showing as being 41 years on on 1911 census.

Thanks for any further help identifying regiments

I just received  this postcard from my family in America, Wille Weir I guess was a close friend of my gt Grandfather

20170610_155649.jpg.9f8efe4aee8063e6711801ecb16c6958.jpg

Whats the difference with this uniform above to the original photo of 3 soldiers in this photo http://cid-62923e796518ba4f.skydrive.live....%20-%201915.jpg   

Thanks

Michael LIndsay

I have access to https://www.fold3.com/ and findmypast for the next 5 days if I get any military numbers etc I can look to see if they are available

Edited by mike331278

• 1 month later...

I found William John Weirs military records, He was an apprentice Apprentice with local Leith, Edinburgh building company of A and W Fingzies before joining the army.  he enlisted in Edinburgh to the 2nd dragoons Royal Scots Greys Number 2658 on 07 November 1884..  - Granted G C Pay 87, -appointed LCPL 88 and reverted back to Private Jun 88 -- 90 -  then 1891 - 1896 transferring to what looks like 1of (?) EA Reserve.

I still dont have any info yet of My Great Grandfather William Lindsay.. any help appreciated where I could match both Williams tother in the millitary

5974942e41dcb_WilliamJohnWeir.jpg.cc86ea42b2f5ceca6e5f2f01e752cba0.jpg

597496ef03b19_WilliamJohnWeir2.jpg.35efcbee5ef5f36c63f5d7cf5d5e7a32.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I came across this online today it shows badges of submarine miners, The belt buckle does seem similar to one in my photo, from a distance image shape of badge looks like a number 9 and the flaming grenade shows Efficiency badge, Senior Voir, NCO

97.jpg

• Admin

Mike

Please would you acknowledge the source of the image as per forum rules. A link to the site will be sufficient.

Thanks

David