Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Dowell CPO E11

submarine

Dear All

I am researching William Dowell 146095 CPO, i have lots of information about him and E11 especially her patrols in the Dardenelles for which he was awarded the DSM , he also won the Royal Humane Soc` Medal in the Albion launch calamity , the problem i am having is which other Submarines he served in ,if any, other than E11 ? .I have his papers but they are not much help. Can anyone help please ?.

Colin

Colin

How does the service record record his posting(s) ? Is it to a Mother ship or an Accounting ship?. If so it might be worth trying to get a look at any Logs or Journals from that entity,where posting records might be kept.

E11 has a series of Ship's Logs at Kew,running from ADM173/1209 to 1215,if you had an interest in combing through it all,in fact the E sub series runs from E2 (ADM173/1151) through to when I ran out of paper at E29 (ADM173/1379) !

Sotonmate

His Majesty's Submarine E11 was one of those involved in screening the seaplane carriers for the Cuxhaven Raid, 25th December 1914, during which she gathered in 3 pilots and 1 observer. A diver, such as Dowell, was no doubt invaluable on such occasions. On the list of medals you missed out his Long Service Good Conduct Medal and 1914-1915 Star Trio.

I understand that the Submarine Museum, Gosport, has a card index of submariners services; as I recall fellow member sadsac has quoted from it. The seamen’s registers were the centralised copy, and the centre was not always informed about localised changes. Their correspondence would be channelled via the depot ships.

Colin, after the `mention' from per Ardua, I have looked thro my files and I do not have a Submarine Record Card of the service of William Dowell. You could try the Submarine Museum and they `may' have a copy - lets hope !!

Find here awards to crew (officers) of E.11. Gives a `flavour' of what E.11 was doing.

NASMITH Martin E N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 85T003 S/M E.11

N/E 16.02.15 Gazetted R.N.A.S. Officers - Cuxhaven Raid 25.12.14 Mentioned in Despatches

Although attacked by an airship, he succeeded, by his coolness and resource in rescuing the three pilots who were compelled to descend near him owing to shortage of fuel.

D'OYLY-HUGHES Guy N/E Lt. RN 82O005 S/M E.11

Vice Admiral De Robeck 25.06.15 Gazetted

In Sea of Marmora end May start June, 1915 DSC See - Nasmith 82O005

Sank a large Turkish Gunboat, two Transports, an ammunition ship, and three store ships, in addition to chasing and driving ashore a small store ship. He entered Constantinople and discharged a torpedo at a transport alongside the arsenal. "Although "E.11" was not the pioneer amongst our submarines to enter the Sea of Marmora, I trust that Their Lordships' will be pleased to submit that the V.C., be bestowed on this valiant and skilful officer, and suitable decorations on the officers and men who have so ably assisted him to carry to a successful issue a cruise which will surely find a place in the annuls of the British Navy." - Vice Admiral De Robeck.

"The Vice Admiral's eulogy is well deserved". - (initialled) H.B.J.

NASMITH Martin E N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 82O005 S/M E.11

Vice Admiral De Robeck 25.06.15 Gazetted

In Sea of Marmora end May start June, 1915 VC

Sank a large Turkish Gunboat, two Transports, an ammunition ship, and three store ships, in addition to chasing and driving ashore a small store ship. He entered Constantinople and discharged a torpedo at a transport alongside the arsenal. "Although "E.11" was not the pioneer amongst our submarines to enter the Sea of Marmora, I trust that Their Lordships' will be pleased to submit that the V.C., be bestowed on this valiant and skilful officer, and suitable decorations on the officers and men who have so ably assisted him to carry to a successful issue a cruise which will surely find a place in the annuls of the British Navy." - Vice Admiral De Robeck.

"The Vice Admiral's eulogy is well deserved". - (initialled) H.B.J.

Here's Nasmith's entry in the London Gazette, with the awards of the DFC to D'OYLY-HUGHES and BROWN.

Gazette Issue 29206 published on the 25 June 1915. Page 6166

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29206/pages/6166

Lieutenant-Commander Edward Courtney Boyle, Royal Navy was also awarded the VC for operations in the Sea of Marmora:

Gazette Issue 29169 published on the 21 May 1915. Page 4894

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29169/pages/4894

Dear all

Sorry for the delay with reply ,have been away . Thank you for your replys ,yes he was a Diver but according to his papers he joined E11 August 1916 so he poss` was not on her in 1914 ,although he must have been on E11 in March 1915 to have been on E11 for mention in " Dardanelles Patrol" by Shankland and Hunter ? . I will get in touch with Museum , if anything comes my way i will keep you informed .

Many thanks

Colin

His DSM was for services in the Sea of Marmora and Gazetted in 1915, there were only a limited number of subs that qualified. If my post #3 was unclear, sometimes the registers do not always record the ships or boats that a man served on, just the depot.

• 1 month later...

Dear all

Just an update as promised . Submarine Musium has no record of William Dowell . Once again thanks for your replys and help.

Colin