Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Batallion Durham Light Infantry

Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the training conditions when this batallion was first established ?

My GG grandfather Arthur Jones died of pneumonia on 21st February 1915 at High Wycombe. I have copies of both his death certificate and his service record.

As far as I know, at this point they were still in training.

I've also seen a picture somewhere on the site of some of the men in training, but don't know when it would have been taken. Does anyone happen to know ? I imagine there's a possibility he COULD be on it ?

It says 14 DLI D Company on the bottom but I think a while ago someone told me that this was incorrect ? I also wondered who D company were - and if he was likely to have been included in the picture ?

Thanks

Karen

Ah, there appears to be one of C company aswell. Would he be likely to be on these does anyone know ? What was C Company ?

Karen

If you have his service record is there not a note for which Company he was in ? It may only be a single letter,or if a platton is mentioned we might be able to unravel which Company that would have been attached to.

The Battalion was made up of A B C D and HQ Companies,roughly 250 men to each of the four alpha Companies.

Sotonmate

Hi

I've attached the section I think would have contained this info, however it seems pretty illegible.

His "service number" is 23230. This info was from the CWGC. Would this help ? This number isn't even listed on the service record.

post-29489-1253045361.jpg

Karen

If you have a copy of his regimental conduct sheet the company letter often appeared on it.

In respect of photos you have seen take a look here

www.ninesergeants.co.uk

my own website dedicated to my grandad and the 14th DLI. Whilst not fully complete as yet it may give you an idea of conditions at High Wycombe and Halton

Jack

Hi there Karen,

If you go back to the first page of his service record entitled Attestation you will see up in the left hand corner written it looks like in pencil D Coy and then the rest you know.

On page 2 down at the bottom left very faintly it says D L I 14 attested, then goes on to say deceased and the date.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Jack

The only 2 sheets I have is one sheet entitled "short service" and another entitled "descriptive report on enlistment". I only managed to find these through the Ancestry website. Until about a year ago I didnt even know he existed. He died when his eldest child was only 8, and no one really knew anything about him.

Yes your site is where I saw the pictures. Thanks very much for posting those, and for the site itself. It's the only real info I've been able to find so far, and the only pictures I have ever seen. Do you know why the B Company one says 1, C2P on it ? And do you have any ideas when these pictures were taken ? I would imagine if he was there through most of the training at least, there is a good chance he is one one ? If it was taken before 21st Feb 1915, he SHOULD be on there.

As it happens, I've now found a granddaughter of his other son, who says that she has a picture of him. She didn't even know where he was born or buried, so I've been able to give her that info. I've arranged to meet her this Saturday, so hopefully (if it's a good quaility picture) I may be able to put a name to another of the faces !

Roger - thanks for the "D COY" thing. If you aren't sure what you are looking for, a lot of it just looks like scribble ! Now that you've pointed it out, it does appear to say D Coy. Thanks ! :-)