Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

64631.2.A.M W.H. Suttle. R.F.C

archangel9

Hi,

A friend of the family found a BWM and gave it to us to research. The medal is to -

Can't find him in the MIC's or either series WO363 364 on Ancestry.

I assume he falls into this category -

"If members of the Royal Flying Corps did not see service overseas until 1916 or later, you will not find a medal card here. The Air Ministry maintained these medal records and they have not been transferred to The National Archives."

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...s%20-%20%C2%A32

2.A.M - 2nd Class Air Mechanic?

Can anyone tell me anything else or advise where we go from here?

Cheers.

John

AM2 H Suttle died in an accident near his Ashington (Northumberland) base on 7 July 1918. He was passenger in DH6 B3093 of 525 Flt 256 Sqn, piloted by Lt JO McLellan, which crashed near Elington Colliery, just outside Ashington.

John,

Herbert Suttle is listed by CWGC as 3/AM with 125594 as his service number. As W.H. Suttle had 64631 as his service number,

Herbert Suttle may be a different person. If Herbert is the correct choice, CWGC says he was 18 years of age at the time of his

death and his home address was 313 Fulwood Road, Sheffield. The BMD for England & Wales states that Herbert - Suttle's

birth was registered during the 2nd Quarter of 1899, at Ludlow; the 1901 Census lists his birthplace as Shropshire and his

1901 residence as Yorkshire. Good luck with your search!

Regards

Trelawney

Can't find him in the MIC's or either series WO363 364 on Ancestry.

The RFC were an army unit, so he would have army service records, but his RAF records will be completely different. Try AIR 79/591 for his record; this is an original document at Kew. Only pursue 125594 Herbert Suttle if you have proof of a change in service number.

I forgot to mention that you can order a copy using the UK National Archives shop online facility. Put the reference above into the UK National Archives catalogue and 'request this' and click on 'Printed or digital copy Request an estimate.'

Thanks for all the replies. As per ardua per mare per terram has pointed out to me 125594 Suttle and 64631 Suttle are not the same man and his records are available at TNA in AIR 79/591. I have requested an estimate from TNA to copy his records and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

John