Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index of Military Personnel

wooltonian

Located at Widnes Library; Halton Lea Library, Runcorn; and the Liverpool Record Office (local studies dept) is a publication called: "WW2 Index of Military Personnel: Garston & Woolton Weekly News, 1939-46" which contains, as the title suggests, an alphabetical list of all military personnel published in that newspaper as shown below;

EDITION RANK NAME last NAME first UNIT INCIDENT LOCATION

1942 Mar 20 Pvt BARTON J RAMC Missing in Singapore Weston Point

1940 Oct 25 L/Cpl CAIN R South Lanc’s Missing – 1915 Sept

1940 Oct 11 2ndLt CASE Roland Lanc’s Hussars 2 French bravery awards Garston

Sorry about the formatting, this site doesn’t seem to recognise Tabs

Wooltonian.

Wooltonian.

Wooltonian

There is a WW2 Forum which might be glad to receive this info!

Sotonmate

Would it be easy for you to look up names on there Wooltonian ?

I have a soldier who came home from the war but died after the the CWGC cut off .... he's buried at St Peters !

He was my big project a couple of years ago !!

Annie :)

Liverpool Annie i have a list of deaths for the years 1914-18 from the Widnes Weekly News this was the Sister paper of the Garston and Woolton Weekly News. Most of the servicemen usually get a mention in both newspapers. Regarding Wooltonians Index i have found 4 new references to servicemen that i would'nt have found without it.

Hi Izzy ! :)

I was just wondering if our Robert William Stead might have been mentioned !

( You know me ... I'm always looking for him !! ... even though he has "a home" now !! ) :rolleyes:

Annie

Annie

When I get a chance I will post the 502 names as a PDF file for all to read.

I read all about your Stead project - very good! I've since been to the churchyard to get a photo for my file.

Annie

I've tried to upload the PDF but its file size is more than the 100k allowed. If you contact Izze (Im sure he won't mind) he will give you my e-mail and I'll foward it on to you if that's OK?

Sotonmate

The full WW2 index is only in book form at Halton Lea, Widnes and LRO Liverpool libraries. A PDF of the WW1 section will shortly be available when I can sort out how to get it onto this website - its file size is too big.

Wooltonian

Annie

I've tried to upload the PDF but its file size is more than the 100k allowed. If you contact Izze (Im sure he won't mind) he will give you my e-mail and I'll foward it on to you if that's OK?

Izzy already has my email .... I'd be very happy to have it !

Thank you !

Annie :)

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone would like a PDF copy of the WW1 index of military personnel from the Garston & Woolton Weekly News then check my profile for my e-mail and send me your e-mail for a copy.

Wooltonian