The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. GB Warren

CroppyBoy1798

Hi guys,

I do some voluntary work in a small, voluntary run military museum here in Ireland. I found an item today that we had in storage. It 'looks' to be of WW1 vintage, unfortunately I cant find a date on it and is, I assume a sleeping bag of some description. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of it at the moment, but is sleeping bag size, is made of a rubberised canvas material and has a softer, orange material on the inside flaps. The items rolls up and is secured by leather straps.

Anyway, when opened out the name : 'CAPT. G.B. WARREN' 'R.A.' are stenciled on in black, I assume 'RA' is Royal Artillery', but can anyone offer me any further info on the man? It'd be great to get it out on display with some info of the fellow whom it belonged to, named items are so much more personal!

Many thanks!

Thats excellent guys, thanks! Seems he was a Wexford man, well his sleeping bag didnt go too far, its in Carlow, a neighbouring county.

May I ask though why it says 'Approved(?) for medals 20-4-23', did he have to wait that long to get his medals, just the victory and the war medal?

It says "App'n [application] for medals [received] 20/4/23". As I understand it, officers had to apply for their medals, other ranks had them sent automatically.

Adrian