Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion Somerset light infantry

wulsten

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. CWGC suggest that SG Miller was in the 6th SLI. As this thread is about the 8th SLI, I would suggest starting a new thread about your Uncle.

Michelle 

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am new to this site. My Dad 27794 Pte. J. B. Westwood served in France with the 8th Somersets from 13 April 1917 to 24th October 1917. He came home wounded and eventually had his leg amputated. I am trying to figure out when he was wounded (how long does it take after being wounded to arrive in England) 

Hi brummiewestwood,

Welcome to the forum.

I can see that James joined up on 4.8.1915, was discharged due to his wounds on 25.3.1918, and that his overseas service was entirely with the 8th Battalion.

3 hours ago, brummiewestwood said:

My Dad...served...with the 8th Somersets... to 24th October 1917...I am trying to figure out when he was wounded

May I ask where you got that date from please? The reason I ask is that he appears as wounded on this casualty list - link. It took several weeks from when a man was wounded to his name appearing on a War Office published list. The list was published/dated 7.8.1917, but surviving service papers for 27844 Goodship, and 32546 Noyce (also 8th Battalion men) indicate that they were both wounded on 12.7.1917. So, presumably James was wounded around the same date too.  I guess that it is at least possible that he might have recovered from that wounding though, only to have been wounded again.

3 hours ago, brummiewestwood said:

how long does it take after being wounded to arrive in England

Depending on the individual circumstances it could be very quick, even within a couple of days.

Regards

Chris

Chris, that's incredible!! How did you manage to find that so quickly. Why I thought that he was wounded at a later date was that I have his Army Form B2067 which says B E Force France from 13-4-17 to 24-10-17 which made me think that he was wounded sometime in October 1917. However I also have his paybook in which he received 5 francs a week from 24/4 till 6th July 1917 which had me puzzled but this might tie in with him being wounded between 6th July and 13th July.
I've puzzled over this for years and you have probably answered it. Dad died 50 years ago but in the many years before this he never uttered a single word on his service.
Once again thank you so much  Alan Westwood

Edited by brummiewestwood

Chris, further to my previous post I've had a good look at Dad's papers and there is a form B2079 on which is written in red ink at the top 'entitled to one gold wound stripe'. So this confirms that he was wounded only once.
However the puzzle is why his papers say B E F France till October 24th why is this if he was wounded  about July 12th he remained in France another 3 months.  Thanks again Alan

3 minutes ago, brummiewestwood said:

However the puzzle is why his papers say B E F France till October 24th why is this if he was wounded  about July 12th he remained in France another 3 months.

Not every wound needed evacuation to the UK, many were dealt with in hospitals in France, either in the entirety or until they eventually decided to send the man back to the UK.

Craig

Craig, thanks for your reply, much appreciated. However my dad's wounds were quite severe resulting in eventual amputation of his right leg. I was told by my Mom that he was given the last rites after he was wounded so I'm presuming that he was quite badly wounded and it would have been pointless for him to remain in France. 
Once again thanks for your input,  Alan

• Admin

If he was that badly wounded, it might have been too risky to move him.

4 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

If he was that badly wounded, it might have been too risky to move him.

I would agree  - I noticed in April 1915 that the DLI men who were lightly injured were sent straight back to the UK and the hospital facilities in France used for those who couldn't be moved for medical reasons.

Craig