Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfathers medal cards

dornoch

I know that there are many requests like this and a lot of guidance available but I am still struggling to interpret these two medal cards. The main thing I am trying to find out is where he was at the time that he was invalided out. My Mum says he had shell shock and he spent much of his life afterwards in Rubery Asylum where he eventually died in 1944. His records are not on Ancestry. I did read somewhere that the records of soldiers suffering from shell shock were destroyed. I am not sure if this is right or not.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Brian

post-48450-1252852725.jpg

post-48450-1252852750.jpg

The First Card is that for his War Badge,& refers to King's Regulation 392 [xvi] being no longer physically fit for military service due to Sickness {which euphamistically often includes the results of Gassing} see following link to LLT:~SWB KR392 Link LLT *

The Second card refers to his Medals ie: 1914~15 Star British War Medal & Allied Victory Medal for Service both with the Worcestershire Regt & Devon Regt.

The records of those pensioned are among those that tended to survive [under Pension Records] rather than have been destroyed{those KiA/Died were IIRC destroyed as a matter of course by the War Office}as they were needed to refer to by the Pensions Boards etc for years hence from the end of Hostilities.

* Worth getting if his Papers dont survive will be the SWB Roll Page which is referred to on the SWB Index Card "List :C/319

Thanks for your help. I have looked for the SWB Index Card "List :C/319 on Google etc but have had no luck. Where can I get hold of this?

In addition my Mum has just found a small leather booklet that contains some details. It says that he was in the Med Expdy Force from 15/10/15 to 3/1/16 and then at home from 4/1/16 to 28/11/16 which is when he was discharged. It looks as if whatever happened to him happened whilst in the Med Expdy Force. Does this imply that he was in the Gallipoli campaign or am I jumping to

conclusions?

Thanks again

Brian

The First Card is that for his War Badge,& refers to King's Regulation 392 [xvi] being no longer physically fit for military service due to Sickness {which euphamistically often includes the results of Gassing} see following link to LLT:~SWB KR392 Link LLT *

The Second card refers to his Medals ie: 19154~15 Star British War Medal & Allied Victory Medal for Service both with the Worcestershire Regt & Devon Regt.

The records of those pensioned are among those that tended to survive rather than have been destroyed{those KiA/Died were IIRC destroyed as a matter of course by the War Office}as they were needed to refer to by the Pensions Boards etc for years hence from the end of Hostilities.

* Worth getting if his Papers dont survive will be the SWB Roll Page which is referred to on the SWB Index Card "List :C/319

SWB Lists are available @ the National Archive Most not on line though.

His first theatre of War appears to be Egypt in 1915,So I doubt if her ended up in Gallipoli,That Theatre was "Balkans~2b" IIRC,on MiCs.

His Date of entry does not correspond directly to any Worcester or Devon Battalions Landing in Egypt so I would assume he was amongst a group of re~inforcements either to the Worcs or Devons...??

Link To LLT Regiments & Dates...

Thanks to all for your help. I rang the National Archives who said that the SWB Roll List would not be too much help. I need to find his battalion which is not on anything I have. At that stage I could get hold of the War Diaries which might tell me more.

Thanks again

Brian

The battalions can be found by referencing the Victory Medal / British War Medal medal roll ledger books at the National Archives, using the reference C/2/103 B3, page 178 of that book (the reference in blue on the medal card). These ledgers are not available online.

Steve.

His presence in Egypt would suggest that he was with either the 4th or 9th Battalions of the Worcesters. The Egypt reference may just mean that he disembarked at Alexandria for a few days before heading onto Gallipoli.

Steve.

Yes I did think that it might have been Gallipoli. He must have served with Australians and New Zealanders as my Mum said that he always talked about wanting to visit/live there. I also found it interesting that the day my grandfather entered Egypt was the very day that a new man took over as head of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force.

I had not thought so much about the Worcs Reg as the SWB states he was in the Devon Reg. I will have another look. I have the WO329/3017 to get from the National Archives. That should tell me his Battalion.

Thanks again for your help.

Brian

His presence in Egypt would suggest that he was with either the 4th or 9th Battalions of the Worcesters. The Egypt reference may just mean that he disembarked at Alexandria for a few days before heading onto Gallipoli.

Steve.

Looking at the medal cards and service record there are three men with similar numbers for which a bid of extra information is available:

Daniel Glazzard

Medal cards state: 9th Worcestershire Regiment 19556, Devonshire Regiment 38859

To Theatre of War (3) Egypt, 15-8-1915. Discharged, 7-10-1916.

So 9th Battalion, it's a start and a possible pointer...

Joseph James Loach

Worcestershire Regiment 16700, Devonshire Regiment 38851, 64 Military Provost Staff Corps T/2201, Wiltshire Regiment 30100

Enlisted into Worcesters 15-9-1914, Posted to 11th Bn. 5-11-1914, Transferred to 2nd Home Service Garrison Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment, No. 38851, 9-9-1916, to Military Provost Staff Corps 1-3-1918, to 6th Bn. Wiltshire Regiment and posted to France 16-8-1918

Arthur Barrett

Enlisted 23-9-1914. Worcestershire Regiment No. 10/9397. Posted to 6th (Reserve) Bn. Worcesters, 23-9-1914. To 10th Worcesters, 4-10-1914. France, 19-7-1915. Disagnosed with pleurisy, 13-3-1916. To UK 30-3-1916. Depot, 31-3-1916. 5th Reserve Battalion, 26-5-1916. Transferred to the 2nd Garrison Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment, No. 38854, 12-9-1916. Discharged as no longer physically fit for duty (due to pluerisy), 27-6-1917.

The Devonshire Regiment battalion would therefore appear to be the 2nd (Home Service) Garrison Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment, and it looks like he served with them in the UK for a couple of months from September 1916 to November 1916 before his discharge due to ill health. However, there is no evidence to say whether he was originally 4th or 9th Battalion of the Worcesters.

Steve.