Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where did all the doctors come from?

GlenBanna

Regarding US Doctors:

There is a rather idiosyncratic account by one US Doctor who served with the British called "The Cellars of Marcelcave: A yank doctor in the BEF" (by Christopher J Gallagher MD) IIRC the doctor in the account is Ben Gallagher MD and he served with the Gloucestershire Regiment in 1918 in the Somme region.

There was a flip side to the numbers of Drs who came from the US into the US military and AEF (1917-19) and that was many locations within the US were short of doctors. This was certainly the case in the counties around here and is mentioned in post war summaries.

Chris

Dick, thank you for the correction. So what postnominal would a member of the Medical Department have used?

sJ

My great uncle, Grover Carter (see avatar), was attached to the BEF for the length of his service in WWI. He and his brother, Parvin Carter, both were doctors. Parvin, however, was stationed at an American hospital in Juilly, north of Paris and not attached to the BEF. Grover was initially sent to Dartford War Hospital (Oct. 1917). He was sent to France in March, 1918. He died of wounds received in the field tending to the fallen Oct.16, 1918 near Le Cateau. I've included the last few entries in his diary, which I was so fortunate to inherit.

Ann

Oct. 8, 1918 – Came to 130 F. Amb. Had breakfast. Joined my unit at 1:30 p.m. in front of Ephey. Everybody advancing. Slept in dugout or rather tried. No blankets, was very cold all night.

Oct. 9, 1918 – Moved at 6 a.m. Moved all day. Liberated many civilians (2,000+) at Montigney, Clary & etc. Advanced about 15 kilos. today. Going further tomorrow.

Oct. 10, 1918 – Cold, damp, misty day. Were held up at Le Cateau because of our flanks being exposed.

Oct. 11, 1918 – Living in open fields in tents. Few 5.9’s [shells] real close. Tents riddled, no one hurt.

Oct. 12, 1918 – Pip-squeak [type of shell] 15 yds. away before breakfast, wounding 3 men. Two died later. Very rough time. Rain & cold. No mail.

Oct. 13, 1918 – Still in same position but not for many days. Shells close by in p.m. News good from n[orth]. The beginning of the end. Armistice refused. Bon! No mail.

Oct. 14, 1918 – Nice sunny day & warm. To guns in a.m. & wagon lines in p.m. News good. Not to be here long.

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this the other day.

Yanks in the King's Forces:

American Physicians Serving with the British Expeditionary Force During World War I

by Mr. Michael Rauer edited by Dr. Sanders Marble

My link

Stuart

• 9 years later...

A different side to this topic - I have come across two registered medical practitioners (one, my grandfather) who served in the Army as infantry soldiers. My grandfather, a G.P. in Dublin, was in the Durham Light Infantry, having been in the T.A. while living in that county, and was later transferred as a Captain to the Connaught Rangers. The other was a Lance-Sergeant in the 15th Royal Scots Fusiliers. My grandfather was aged 42 when the war began and had applied to the R.A.M.C. The other was aged 28, and was four years qualified when he joined up in December 1914.

It seems strange that they were were combatant soldiers and not in the medical service, when they were obviously willing to go on active service.

20 hours ago, Michael Pegum said:

A different side to this topic - I have come across two registered medical practitioners (one, my grandfather) who served in the Army as infantry soldiers. My grandfather, a G.P. in Dublin, was in the Durham Light Infantry, having been in the T.A. while living in that county, and was later transferred as a Captain to the Connaught Rangers. The other was a Lance-Sergeant in the 15th Royal Scots Fusiliers. My grandfather was aged 42 when the war began and had applied to the R.A.M.C. The other was aged 28, and was four years qualified when he joined up in December 1914.

It seems strange that they were were combatant soldiers and not in the medical service, when they were obviously willing to go on active service.

That is very strange. 

Could it have been the wishes of the men themselves? 

I find it hard to believe the Military would have respected these wishes (if it were true). 
Was it possible they concealed their profession? 

Not in my grandfather's case, anyway. Obituary notices in the paper said that he was often called on for his medical skill for wounded in the trenches.

Here is another example of a fighting doctor. 

Capt Burroughes Maurice Hughes, C Coy, 1/4 Bn, Norfolks Regiment, was killed by a Turkish sniper at Suvla, 15 September 1915 .  He was placing a marker in a communication trench, “by orders of the Brigadier” says Harvey (unpublished) “as he wished to know how far the work had progressed; this being possible to be carried out only at night”.  Maurice Hughes, a Wymondham doctor “was explaining to the working party that he wanted a communications trench dug out from the back parapet of a trench when a bullet caught him in the stomach.  He died in less than five minutes.  “He was a splendidly brave officer, one of the very bravest I have yet met.  Besides carrying out his duties as [C Company] C.O., he would often attend to the wounded” (Eastern Daily Press, 17 January 1916).  Hughes was buried the following evening, at dusk, in Australian Gully.  

Hughes, a physician in Wymondham, joined  F Coy, 4 Vol Bn, Norfolk Regiment as 2/Lt, 10 Jan, 1897; promoted to Lt, 17June, 1901; served in 1 Volunteer Service Company, Norfolk Regt in the the Boer War (Queen's Medal with four clasps); retired from the Volunteers June, 1902; re-enlisted as 2/Lt, 18August 1914; Captain, 23 November, 1914; Major, 12 September, 1915; MID (London Gazette, 28 January 1916). 

Several of officers were served with Hughes in both of his spells in a Norfolk uniform, so although I have no direct evidence, I'd be surprised if his profession was not widely known in 1914.  Given he re-enlisted as early as 18 August 1914, I'd also be surprised if the infantry was not his first choice.  

Rob.