Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map for Locre (now Loker) area Belgium April 1917 ?

Gerry1916

I am trying to trace my uncle's whereabouts before he died 23/04/1917. War Diary says he was at 'Derry Huts' and 'Derry Farm'. Derry Huts I believe where near Locre which is now called Loker (south of Ypres). Does anyone have a trench map etc of this area ?

Gerry

Gerry

The map you want is Sheet 28SW and Locre is at map reference M23. Unfortunatly there is not a copy of this map on the otherwise excellent Mc Master University site here

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/home.htm

but the do have two copies of Sheet 28 the large scale (40000-1) map that covers this area and the wider Ypres front. You will find M23 (and Locre) in the lower left hand quadrant of the map unfortunately I cant see either Derry Farm or Derry Huts in the immediate area. I suspect from its location, well behind the front, that Derry Huts was a rest camp and having chased the location of a number of these that my relatives stayed in Ive found they are rarely shown on maps. Do you have a map reference for them as that would let us pinpoint them.

Tim B

• 10 years later...
  • Admin

Gerry1916 hasn't visited the forum since 2009 so he probably won't see your reply I'm afraid. 

Michelle 

• 4 months later...

Hi, I just came across this.

I just found out that the brother of my great grandmother was wounded (and then died) in the trenches at Kemmel on 8th February 1915 (Private PT Jones 9656 3rd Bn South Staffordshire Regiment, in case that's significant to anyone) so I wanted to say thanks to @SDuncanfor posting this screen shot, as it's very interesting to me

I found the war diary from the days around when he was wounded and apparently he was in "K sector"

Does anyone know what that means? Would it refer to a specific place on that map, or is it the name of the group he was in?

I am totally new to this. I didn't know I had any ancestors who fought in the war until yesterday, and have been trying to piece it all together, but I don't know any of the terminology really 

Thanks 

I have these other photos which may help with your identification, I have read through Thomas’s report and it doesn’t mention section K. It does say that later in the war there was a huge underground explosion which left a crater that is now filled with water. 

645124D7-A2D1-4B19-AE83-398880963379.png

F6D0DACC-65BC-429F-8347-0EA6EA0DC053.png

DD1B8F5D-9D9E-45E0-B540-E7E2872926C5.png

68407798-0095-466F-8CC1-81060989BAF7.png

This is fascinating - thanks so much! Yes I think that the 2nd map there, showing the fronts numbered F1-F7 is exactly where he was!

And I noticed the mention of the royal Scots fusiliers and I also read about that in the war diary.  I think they were holding those trenches and then my ancestor's battalion took over from them (and he got wounded)

They're not very clear but here are the entries from the war diary, in case its of interest to you. I think this page makes reference to the attack on the Lancashire batallion that killed 5 and wounded 15.  I have this whole doc if you're interested in any particular dates or names

Screenshot_20201119-131854.png

Thanks, I would like to see the rest of the report if it is possible. My great uncle was  Pte Thomas Tingle who died of his wounds either on the 30th Jan 1915 or the 31st Jan 1915. The death record says the 31st, however, the medical report says the 30th. Apparently at the time it was often mistakenly recorded which is understanda713788382_ThomasTingledeathrecord2.JPG.ed37bd5d17c2f28466080e74d23ece27.JPGble given the conditions and 300523040_ThomasTingledeathrecord.JPG.7a2ecac117373d32ecbf3ae4b8862e5c.JPG concerned.

Thomas Tingle death record 3.JPG

I'm not sure if I would be able to attach the whole thing, but here is where I got it;

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352070

All I had to do was register an account with the national archives (free) and then I was able to download the pdf for free. I think you have 30 days to download it

I had a look around January for the name Tingle but couldn't see anything, but it's a massive document so you never know!

Let me know if that doesn't work for you and I'll try to find another way 

10 hours ago, AHogan said:

I think that the 2nd map there, showing the fronts numbered F1-F7 is exactly where he was!

Here's another version of that January 1915 trench-sketch map that might be of interest ... this version also showing the German trenches for comparison:

Capture.JPG

14 hours ago, AHogan said:

I found the war diary from the days around when he was wounded and apparently he was in "K sector"

Does anyone know what that means? Would it refer to a specific place on that map,

Some of 'K Sector' trenches can be seen on this map ...

Kemmel Sector - Spring 1915.jpg

... and, just to add further illustration, here's an image showing the sectors in the south of the Ypres salient down to the Wijtschaete - Kemmel road as it was in March 1915: 

Wijtschaete sectors March 1915.jpg

9 hours ago, OM4619 said:

Some of 'K Sector' trenches can be seen on this map ...

Here is K sector on a modern map, courtesy GeoRef and OM4619.  Click to enlarge:

image.png.6e8188bb3aa6f85ed42f9c12eef01f3c.png