The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Schooling in the army?

muppet

Hi all

Can anyone explain why my husbands grandfather had a second class certificate of education whilst in the RGA?

Awarded to 37889 Gunner Jesse Andrews No69 Company RGA... I believe he must have been in India at the time (21st March 1914) as it is signed by Major General (unreadable) Adjutant General in India. Attainments are maths (including Regimental accounts) and writing a simple essay. Could this have been for a promotional position?

Any thoughts please :)

Wen

Thank you Jim for your reply. I googled Army Corps of Schoolmasters and although I don't think he was doing it for that (I'm more inclined to think it was for promotion) it was a great web site.

On his papers I have him as a gunner a bombardier and his medal card shows him as A/Cpl.. Not sure in what order they would have been awarded but I expect the LLT will have some information on it. Its all very confusing as he has different Numbers and his medal card shows his entry to theatre of war as Oct 1915 but his Education certificate shows him in India in the RGA March 1914 :huh: I think I need to have a good look on this forum to see if anyone can shed some light on it for me, perhaps questions have been asked about this situation before.

Thanks again

Wen

Wen,

I think that India would only show up on his MIC if he served in a frontier region. He may have been on garrison duty there until he entered a theatre of war.

You might want to have a look at the abbreviations section on this page from the national archives to determine the theatre of war he entered-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...medals.asp#read

Prior to 31 December 1915 a 5 in the theatre served indicates frontier India and after 1 january 1916 it becomes a 6F.

You could always post a photo of his MIC for others to help you.

Hope that helps,

Scott

Hi Scott... Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried uploading the medal card for the last hour (too big a file) managed to make it smaller and it said upload successful but where is it???? :(

If you have access to the medal cards its under J M Andrews 37899.. If not I will try again..

With the help of members of this forum I have found out that his theatre of war (which is hard to read on the card) was Aux Cruiser "Nucharia" I was also informed that the roll 251A page 15199 has him as A/Cpl with 62 Coy.. As this Theatre of War shows entry date as Oct 1915 I was wondering why it wasn't shown on his medal card that he was in India in 1914. He enlisted London 25th Sept 1912 and was discharged 24th Sept 1924. How can I find out when he went to India, could it have been in 1912?

Any help appreciated.

Wen

ooh just seen it has been attached :D

post-46670-1252916104.jpg

Wen,

As I understand it India was not a theatre of operation in itself, only the frontier areas. Accordingly although he was in India in 1914 it would not be recorded on a MIC until he entered a theatre of operation, hence the October 1915.

I haven't come across that on a MIC before. Just a thought- I wonder if he was "borrowed" to serve as a gunner on an Indian navy ship? Although I can't find any reference to a ship called "Nacharia". Auxillary cruiser was a class of naval ship.

Scott.

Ahh thank you Scott, I wondered why his time in India wasn't recorded on his MIC....

I have a Kew reference supplied to me by a forum member that lists armed merchant cruisers etc 1915-1917, when I finally make it to Kew I shall have a look and see if there is any reference to the Nucharia..

Many thanks for your help

Wen