Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is a Memorial / Death Plaque ?

Tony Ring

From time to time I have seen postings where members are looking for a particular plaque, either Death or Memorial. I presume that the NOK of a fallen soldier received a ? plaque with his name on it some stage after his death.

Could someone point me to a thread if this is an old topic or post a photograph of one so I know what I should be looking for.

If one was issued and then lost is there a provision for a duplicate being obtained.

This is in relation to my G/Uncle KIA in 1918. I have obtained copies of his medals and would be interested in obtaining a plaque if they still exist.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Tony

Link To eBay Death Plaque

They are the large uniface Bronze Plaques given to the Next of Kin {1 only} in respecxt of those who died on active service during the Great War from 1914 to approximately 1921.

Whilst there may have been some priviso for replacement @ the time this along with WW1 Campaign Medals no longer applies....

Tony

Also know as the Death Penny

Put that term in Google and you'll get some info and photos etc. Possibly you may find some threads if you search this Forum on that term

Can't answer the duplicate question.

hywyn

Link To eBay Death Plaque

They are the large uniface Bronze Plaques given to the Next of Kin {1 only} in respecxt of those who died on active service during the Great War from 1914 to approximately 1921.

Whilst there may have been some priviso for replacement @ the time this along with WW1 Campaign Medals no longer applies....

Thank you. I now understand what it is. I had visions of a larger plaque.

Tony

Tony

Also know as the Death Penny

Put that term in Google and you'll get some info and photos etc. Possibly you may find some threads if you search this Forum on that term

Can't answer the duplicate question.

hywyn

Hywn

OK. Thank you. Some research coming up.

Appreciate your help.

Tony