Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another badge ID...

J T Gray

Whilst scanning a photo album, I've happened cross this rather dapper looking chap. Officers are not my usual area, and he's cunningly hidden his cuffs. However he seems to be wearing pretty distinctive collar and cap badges. Would anyone care to take a guess at them?

Sadly I have no connection to him, so I have no idea of a name.

Thanks,

Adrian

Untitled-4.jpg

And a close-up:

Untitled-3.jpg

Adrian..Sherwood Foresters perhaps?? Rob.

I must admit that I'm inclining towards Wardog's suggestion - the standing hart fits the shape in the cap badge better than the Foresters' sitting one. I'll wait and see what else is suggested before I come down to a decision though. Thanks for the thoughts thus far!

Adrian

I'd go with Bedfords.

And another chap from the same album: To be honest, I could probably look the things up, but I'm still ploughing through the flipping album, and I want to get that finished so that I can get on with the rest of the things I was going to do this summer... so over to you!

Untitled-2.jpg

I'm guessing the T collar dogs are Territorial, pity we can't make out the medal ribbon.

Adrian

Yes, the 'T's represent Territorial. A Fusilier regiment of some sort (at first I thought Royal Irish Fusiliers, but - duh - they didn't have Territorial battalions). The buttons would help, but I bet they won't enlarge any. Simply, I think the ribbon is a 1914 or 1914-15 Star, early (pre-medals) issue.

Like Phil I thought Royal Irish Fusiliers but the wonky T on the right (as we see him) indicated a Fusilier officer, note his shoulder button is undone so to take his San Browne off. So we have a Captain with a 1914 or 14/15 Star and I think he is a Fusilier from one of the City of London battalions.

Hmmm, I might have a go at the buttons tomorrow (I've just packed the albums up to visit someone), but the second shot was a 1200dpi scan from a 127 contact print so I think we'll be out of luck.

With all that information, what a sod that we don't know either chap's name - especially as the first one has a very distinctive physiognomy!

Adrian