Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancasters

Hambo

Willing to do lookups. Quite detailed, a few other ranks mentioned by name in the narrative

John

• 1 year later...

Willing to do lookups. Quite detailed, a few other ranks mentioned by name in the narrative

John

Hello John,

I'm looking for information about the 1/5 King's Own ( 166 Bde, 55 Div) during 8/9/10 and 11 November 1918. Making a study about the last days during the Great War on the front between Audenarde and Tournai area ( Belgium).

Kind regards and thanks from Flanders,

Jef

Jef

Drop me a PM with your email and exactly what you're after as I suspect there could be quite a lot to transcribe.

John

Jef

Drop me a PM with your email and exactly what you're after as I suspect there could be quite a lot to transcribe.

John

Hello John,

I can't send a PM??? Maybe your mailbox is full? I tried to send this message.

Jef

Thank you for answering, John. Like I wrote, I am making a study of the last days in WWI on a front between Audenarde and the Tournai area in Belgium. 1/5 King's own , 166 Bde, 55th Div was involved in these events, so I'm looking for info of this Battalion on 8/9/10 and 11 November 1918. Whas the Bn. at rest, in support or on duty, I don't know. Would be grateful if you could share the info on these 4 days. my mailaddress is

jefbogaert@scarlet.be

Kind regards, Jef

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jef I have sent an email but in case it doesn't arrive here is the info you were after

Regards John

8th November

They moved forward to Willemeau in drizzling rain as the Germans were falling back. They finished the day holding at the Escault and covered it with machine guns.

9th November

They crossed the river when the brigade moved forward to Chercq. After a delay for a pontoon bridge to be constructed to replace the original one which had been blown. The battalion were billeted for the night at Marais de la Louviere east of Tournai. That evening the battalion band played the Belgian national anthem and other music on the village green.

10th November

They marched along the Tournai-Leuze-Ath road and arrived in Leuze about 11.30am with the battalion band playing the Belgian national anthem amid great excitement from the inhabitants. They were fed lunch in the main square. The massed bands of the Brigade played in the main square after lunch and then the town band played for the first time in four years. Later there was a thanksgiving service for the civilians and the troops went off to their billets.

11th November

The battalion set out on the march at 8am. The enemy was reported to be holding a line at Ath so the whole Division had been put on notice for an attack. When they arrived at Villers St Amand it was reported that the Germans were retiring and that the Armistice would soon be signed and that hostilities would cease at 11am. Bells rang put from surrounding villages at 11am to sound peace. Weather was drizzling. They halted at midday for lunch then marched into Ath where the band led them into the town amid wild scenes as the inhabitants joined the marching men. The battalion was billeted in a large chair factory

Hello John,

A few minutes ago I got your mail. Thank you for the information,

Jef

• 7 years later...

Hope this info might be of soime help.
My father (Lt Arhtur Morris RAMC) was the MO with the 1/5 Kings Own Royal Lancs and from the letters that his mother kept I have been able to work out what his movements were in November 1918, and assume that the 1/5th was where he was!

Arthur returned from leave and went to Chocques, then Bethune, then East of Bethune past Givenchy and finally found his unit and kit at Lorgies. Regiment was relieved and sent back to Bethune

On October 16th 1918 a General Advance started
Went by lorry to Illies marched to Marquilles for the night.
Next afternoon marched to Gondecourt
Morning of 18th went on to Seclin by teatime ordered to Templemans arrived at Dusk stayed 24 hours.
Evening of 19th marched in dark to Grand Ennertières for one night.
Lunch next day at Cysoing then in afternoon to Bourghelles for the night.
Next day to Esplechin where stayed until Oct 26th.
Forward to relieve outpost battalion at Froidment
On night of Oct 31st took over outpost line west of the Scheldt. Arthur set up Aid Post at Ere.
Evening of 3rd Nov unit relieved and sent back to Esplechin.
Nov 8th advanced to spend night at Willemeau.
Dawn of 9th the Scheldt was forced, crossed at midday, through suburbs of Tournai, then Antoing and spent night at Marais de Lonvière.
Sunday Nov 10th made triumphal entry into Leuze stayed the night.
On 11th advanced to force the river Dendre at Ath. News of Armistice came while sitting at roadside for lunch at Maulbauix. To Ath that afternoon and stayed till 15th
To Chateau at Attres till 18th then back through Ath to Villiers St Amand.

On 7th December 55th Division was reviewed on a bit of straight road outside Ath by King George V, The Prince of Wales and Prince Albert. Then they left Ath on 15thDecember and set off for three day march to Brussels arriving 18th December. Division reviewed by Albert King of the Belgians on 3rd Jan 1919.

I hope that might be of some help.
Regards
Alfred.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Morris, can you tell me where you found these informations about visit of King George V, Prince of Wales and Prince Albert (King of Belgium) on 7th December ? Who was "Prince Albert" ?

Thanks

Sébastien