Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Barker

7th Queens Own (Royal West Kents)

Stephen Barker

One of the children in my class asked me to find out about her Great Uncle.

Pte RS Sharpe no G1037 of the unit described above.

Can anyone tell me what this unit was doing on the 13/7/16 - the day he died (CWGC)?

Also what does the G stand for before the number?

Is this a territorial number?

Thanks for any help you can give to me and my pupil of course.

Stephen

PhilB

Stephen:- 55 brig, 18 div. Assault and capture of Trones Wood from Maltzhorn trench. "The RWK lost direction amongst the undergrowth and fallen trees, whilst German posts in Central trench opened deadly fire at close range. Nevertheless, about 150 men, without officers, reached the eastern edge south of the Guillemont track. Unable to locate themselves in the darkness, they imagined that they had reached the northern apex and that the whole wood was in British hands; when dawn came the mistake was realized, but efforts to press on met with no success"

"Soon after midnight the 18th div informed the corps that the RWK had disappeared into the wood, leaving behind them detachments of Germans who were still holding out" France & Flanders 1916 vol 2.

I have 14/15 trio to G-1205 Pte E.F.Relf 7RWK, killed same day. Phil B

Paul Reed

I knew several veterans of the 7th RWK who fought in this action; one of them Frank Bastable, appears in the little book by Les Coates 'Somme 1916' which was published for school groups by Tressel Publications and is still in print. I don't have an ISBN to hand, unfortunately. The attack of this unit is well described in this book.

The same battalion fought over the same ground two years later in August 1918; many of the dead from both battles are in Bernafay Wood cemetery.

Stephen Barker

Thanks Phil and Paul for both of these responses - very useful indeed.

Stephen.