Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Baker

Killester, Dublin

Chris_Baker

Simple question. Is there, or was there during 14-18, any form of army housing in Killester, particularly around Abbeyfield?

IPT

There was housing for WW1 veterans after the war - Killester Garden Village;

The historical significance of the area is well documented, as from “The Irish Sailors' and Soldiers' Land Trust – First Report – 1st January 1924 to 31st March 1926”, page 18: “At the garden suburb of Killester, on the outskirts of Dublin, 247 houses were erected by the Local Government Board. These are all single-storey “bungalows,” of which 32, of 1,007 feet superficial area, are detached ; they contain a parlour, living-room, large scullery, and three bedrooms, besides bathroom, larder and coal store. Of the remainder, 177, with similar accommodation but without the parlour, are of 841 feet capacity, while 38, with only 2 bedrooms, have an area of 675 feet.”

The Irish Sailors' and Soldiers' Land Trust subsequently took over these properties from the Local Government Board into what the Report states on page 25, is “one of the Trust's largest schemes (Killester-247 cottages).” All of these 'bungalows' were constructed to house Irish Sailors and Soldiers returning from World War I.

inishowen

FYI,

An aunt of my mother the late Peg Taylor lived in a house in The Demense, Killester until the late 1980s. Her husband Bob was a war veteran. When she passed away the house reverted back to, as far as I can remember, the Royal British Legion. I will always remember Peg because she was the only woman I knew in Dublin who wore a poppy to Mass on Remembrance Sunday.

janglo

I completed my undergrad thesis on the Killester houses. If anyone wants a link to it just let me know and I will forward it on.

Don

Hi Janglo,

I would love a copy as I live nearby

Regards

Gerry

janglo

Hi Gerry,

No problem, just give me your email address. If you don't want to post it here you can send it to me at sully@esatclear.ie. I'll send you a link where you can download the thesis.

tony paley

I completed my undergrad thesis on the Killester houses. If anyone wants a link to it just let me know and I will forward it on.

Janglo,

found this post very interesting. My grandfather retired to pension in 1920 following 26 years service in the RGA. He was a widower and the family was reunited when he moved into a bungalow in Killester, dublin. I have an address as 200 Howth Road, Dublin. Is this address included in the above estate?

Tony P

Don

The bungalow is still there today Tony, I pass it every day on my way to work

Gerry

janglo

Janglo,

found this post very interesting. My grandfather retired to pension in 1920 following 26 years service in the RGA. He was a widower and the family was reunited when he moved into a bungalow in Killester, dublin. I have an address as 200 Howth Road, Dublin. Is this address included in the above estate?

Tony P

Hi Tony,

Yes that house is included in the estate, The first tenants moved in around 1923. From what I can make out 200 Howth Road was originally 7 Demesne. Those particular houses were given new addresses by the post office sometime in the 1930s. I compiled a list of residents using Thoms and I see that the original tenant was A.Pailey who was there from 1923 until 1943 when G. Johnston moved into that house. The Demesne houses were larger than those in the rest of the estate and were usually kept for the higher ranks. If you want a copy of my article just give me your email address and I will forward it on. Hope that helps

Here's a link to the house on googlemaps

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/200+Howth+Rd/@53.371168,-6.20424,3a,90y,352h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sTf7XrJaO3mNMMP_YhwxaFw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670fb00b6b2937:0xd96aa7c1642d51f2!6m1!1e1

tony paley

Janglo,

The spelling is wrong but that is my grandfather Arthur Paley. I obtained the address from a letter confirming his death in 1940. at that time there were still several family members, unmarried children, my uncles and aunts, living there. I am not sure when they moved in but my father spoke of living there and he enlisted in the Royal Artillery in 1924 so clearly one of the original tenants. Arthur's photo on my avatar. Still have kin in Bray and dublin so will take a look on my next visit. I took a trip to Howth on the dart a couple of years ago and thought that it must have passed pretty close to the bungalow. Thanks for the information love to see the article so send me a pm.

Tony P

janglo

Hi Tony,

Arthur would have been one of the originals residents alright. It would be worth a trip to Dublin to have a walk around the estate. Just get off the dart at Killester and you are right in the middle of it. It's a lovely area to live and as an experiment in social housing it was a great success. Low density housing with large green spaces and huge gardens. Most of the people I interviewed for the thesis have very happy memories of their time there. I've sent the article - enjoy !

tony paley

Hi All

You might be interested in this, https://www.facebook.com/KillesterWarMemorialCampaign a campaign to try and save the Killester RBL Hall

Regards

IanC

Very interesting. I was aware that my grandfather and his family lived at Killester in 1922 but had no idea of the nature of the estate and the cares for the memory of those men, and still goes on today. I will pay a visit next time I am over in the land of my parents.Has the hall been saved?

Tony P

Guest marionmaxwell1

I belong to a local history group in Fermanagh studying a scheme which provided 12 houses for WW1 ex- servicemen on an island in Upper Lough Erne. I'd be interested in contacting the person whoo completed his undergrad thesis on the Soldiers' cottages - mentioned in a post below. What I am mainly interested in is finding out if this or another person connected with your project has found \and viewed the original records in kew.

Marion

janglo

Hi Marion,

Drop me an email to sully@esatclear.ie and I will do whatever I can to help. I didn't travel to Kew but managed to identify documents I needed and had them copied by a researcher which worked out cheaper and faster than ordering copies directly.

Don

I enclose a PDF of the first residents in Killester Garden City  in 1926.

Residents of Killester Gardens 1926.pdf

Sheila Tyne

Do you still have this Don?  Could not download this PDF my grandparents lived in the Demesne.