Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private A Turner 203718 14th Royal Warwicks

markl

Can anyone give me any idea where a I could find out more about my Great Grandfather.

I know he died shortly after joining the army in 1918 at the time he was 32 so I thought he would have been called up earlier

Here's info from the CWGC:

Hope this helps!

gordon

Casualty Details

Name: TURNER, ALFRED

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Unit Text: 14th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/04/1918

Service No: 203718

Additional information: Son of Henry Turner, of 5, Duke St., Coventry; husband of Harriett Gertrude Green (formerly Turner), of 164, Stoney Stanton Rd., Coventry.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 2 and 3

Cemetery: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

Mark

Have a look at ‘Grandad’s War’ on the mother site for how to find more information about your Great Grandfather’s service.

Probably not much help, but Soldiers Died in the Great War (CD) shows that he was born and enlisted in Coventry.

Regards

Mark

Hello

There is a very slim chance that his service records might be at the PRO (National Archives) or possibly there might have been an obtituary in a Coventry newspaper with information of his short service supplied by his next of kin.

The 14th Royal Warwicks had recently returned from a spell in Italy with the 5th Division and on return to France were put into the line to stem the German advance opposite Merville. The 14th were holding the front line on the outer edge of Nieppe Forest when he was killed.

Regards

Terry