Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Uniform ID

Myduckie2

Greetings again. I am not sure whether I thanked all for their contributions on my last post for a uniform ID - but thankyou all.

I have found another old photo in my grandparents albums. I suspect this is a Sgt's uniform, but I am unsure of who is wearing it. I have attachedf two photos (one of the uniform and one just of the collar badge) Any info on the uniform would be appreciated as it may help me identify who it is - My grandfather had two other brothers - one who I believe may have passed away as a young boy. The other brother was names Charles Smith Woodman DOB 1876. Thanks

post-48785-1252345076.jpg

post-48785-1252345117.jpg

Sherry,

he wearing the stripes of a Sergeant Major Instructor of Fencing and Gymnastics and the collar bade appears to be (and I could be wrong) that of the Royal North Devonshire Hussars or the Army Pay Corps, more likely the former since he appears to be wearing a sword. I would say the medals are those of the South African campaign. I'm sure the experts will put us right,

cheers, Jon

Sherry,

he wearing the stripes of a Sergeant Major Instructor of Fencing and Gymnastics and the collar bade appears to be (and I could be wrong) that of the Royal North Devonshire Hussars or the Army Pay Corps, more likely the former since he appears to be wearing a sword. I would say the medals are those of the South African campaign. I'm sure the experts will put us right,

cheers, Jon

The rank is correct, but unsure of the unit and he may be with "Gymnastics School", although I'm unawre what their collar badge's were. Pity his head-dress wasn't on show. The sword unfortunately in this case doesn't indicate cavalry, but goes with his rank. Notice the officers pattern lace on the collar and the jacket is also of an infantry pattern and not cavalry.

Rank, dress and uniform are a study in themselves, especially the more senior ranks and I'm sure Grumpy will be able to expand further. Agree that it was also taken post South African War.

I think you can see the cap badge - and it's crossed swords with a crown above - therefore the Army Gymnastic Staff? Yes, South African War pair of medals (Queen's Medal with four clasps and King's Medal with the usual two).

I think you can see the cap badge - and it's crossed swords with a crown above - therefore the Army Gymnastic Staff? Yes, South African War pair of medals (Queen's Medal with four clasps and King's Medal with the usual two).

After squinting for a while I think that there is a headdress badge in the photo difficult to see but I'm unsure as to if the AGS wore the crown collar badge, admittedly the only reference I have is Churchill and Westlake which shows the crossed swords and crown collar badge for the APTC.

Any chance of a closer look Sherry?

cheers, Jon

edit: just realised that the APTC wasn't formed until 1940 so please ignore my ramblings ;)

Had to download it and blow it up gradually and agree you can just make out the AGS cap badge on his cap. As a member of the AGS Staff, what colour facings are we looking at when wearing fulldress - are they dark blue, as I'm not overly familiar with the facing colours of smaller Corps?

Thanks all for your input. This is definitely puzzling. My grandfather emigrated to Canada about 1908 and did have prior military experience with the Wiltshire Yeomanry. I just bought a photoshop program and will try and clean the photo up and resubmit. AGain thanks all for your input. I will touch base again later. Thanks

Sherry,

I think the badges are confirmed as those of the Army Gymnastics School, the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry wore the Prince of Wales's plumes and motto on both headdress and collars so very different from what is being worn in the above photo. Please do post a pic of the headdress badge when you've played around with it in photoshop,

cheers, Jon