Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private 206010 Alfred R Amos 2/7 Hants

Guest duncan_amos

Guest duncan_amos

Hello

I am trying to find information relating to my grandfather Private 206010 Alfred Robert Amos of the 2/7 Hants Regiment during WW1.

Being fairly new to family history and very new to military history, I am not too sure what I want or what is available.

I would like to find out when he joined up, where he served, which battles he survived, what medals he was awarded and when he was discharged - those type of things.

Does anyone have any information or could point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help offered

Duncan R.Amos

Duncan

Welcome to the Forum.

Can I suggest that, as indicated above, you have a look at the "grandad's war" section of the main site which should give you all the pointers you need.

John

Guest duncan_amos

Thanks John

I can't see a "Grandad's War" subject area on the home page of the forum - am I looking in the right place?

Duncan

Duncan,

Pte 206010 Alfred Robert AMOS was awarded two campaign medals - the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Brief pen picture of the 2/7th Hampshire's movements in the war:

2/7th Battalion Hampshire Regiment was formed on Salisbury Plain on 5th October 1914. Then known as 7th (Home Service) Battalion, a title changed to 7th (Reserve) Battalion soon after its arrival in Bournemouth. It was the only Hampshire Battalion leaving England with the 45th (2nd Wessex) Division, on 12th December 1914. The Battalion sailed from Southampton for India on board H.T. "Dunera" and after touching at Alexandria and Port Said reached Bombay on 7th January 1915. Proceeded to Secunderabad, where it arrived on 9th January 1915 and occupied Meadows Barracks, in the Trimulgherry Entrenchment. Its name was then changed to 2/7th Battalion.

Battalion left Secunderabad on 13th March 1916 and was stationed in Jubbulpore, where it occupied the Ridge Barracks, till it received orders for active service in April 1917.

Battalion proceeded to Deolali in April 1917, expecting to embark in a few days for the Egyptian Expeditionary Force, but it did not actually leave till 4th September 1917 - destination by now had changed to Mesopotamia. Battalion arrived 11th September 1917 on board H.T. "Egra".

Battalion sent to Aziziyah, where it remained until January 1918, when it went to Amarah, and stayed there 8 months. September 1918 - Battalion attached to 13th Division and sent to Table Mountain. 27th December 1918 - Battalion returned to lines of communication, where it was gradually demobilised.

Marc

Guest duncan_amos

John

Thanks for the help - have done than and am going to settle down for an interesting read...

Marc

Amazing...

On the medals front; does this imply that he didn't enlist in 1914 as he didn't get the third? I gather the three were known as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred - in that order (i.e. no Pip in his case)?

There is also a bit of confusion in that he also seems to have been in HCFA 3/3 RAMC as well - is this possible - did people change regiments?

Duncan

On the medals front; does this imply that he didn't enlist in 1914 as he didn't get the third? I gather the three were known as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred - in that order (i.e. no Pip in his case)?

Duncan - no it doesn't. It simply means that he didn't meet the qualifying criteria for the 1914 (Mons) Star or 1914-1915 Star.

It was certainly possible for your grandfather to have changed units. There are several threads on this subject on the Forum. If you use the 'search' facility it should be relatively easy to find them.

Marc