Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaforths Memorial, Fampoux

Paul Reed

A French friend has asked me when the Seaforths Memorial in the Sunken Lane at Fampoux, on the Arras Battlefields, was built/unveiled.

I thought I would find the answer in Twenty Years After and while there is a photo of the ceremony in Vol I, no date is mentioned.

Anyone got any ideas? I personally think around 1926/27.

Your help appreciated!

Paul,

if nobody comes up with an answer on the forum, there is a PRO file (WO 32/5886) about this memorial. I'm a bit stuck for getting to Kew at the moment but I'll check next month sometime - if nobody beats me to it. The period covered by the file is 1919 - 1927, not that that means a lot.

Jock Bruce

In John Sym's 'Seaforth Highlanders' the memorial gets a mention but unfortunately he doesn't say when it was unveiled.

Although it is on the site of the 2nd Battalion's actions of 9.4.1917, it is a memorial to all Seaforth Battalions in the Great War. The 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 9th also attacked on that day (the 9th repelled a German counter- attack), and although the 8th Bn was in reserve it suffered casualties whilst providing working parties.

Arras was chosen since all Seaforth battalions in France were in action at Fampoux / Rouex in April 1917 and they all suffered heavy casualties.

The design of the Memorial, a celtic cross, had already been used by the regiment for the 78th Highlanders Indian Mutiny Memorial on the Esplanade, Edinburgh Catsle, and the 2nd Seaforths Boer War Memorial in Dingwall.

If I get a chance I'll try looking through the regimental magazine from the 1920s at the Edinburgh City Library, it's bound to have details.

Paul

I'm afraid the Edinburgh City Library copies of 'Caber Feidh' only go back to 1933. If you can hold on a few more days I'll try the National Library of Scotland. I've definitely read copies of the magazine from the 1920's I just can't remember where!

Cheers

Adam