Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with uniforms please

helmarcam

Hi all, I have come into possession of a photo of my great grandfather & his brothers. Their surname is King and all are from Reigate Surrey but appear to be from different regiments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-49322-1252019423.jpg

Welcome to the forum aussiecam

no matter how much I squint I ain't ever gonna see them there badges ;) any chance of a larger pic? (needs to be 100kb or below) let me know if you need a hand,

cheers, Jon

post-49322-1252031728.jpg

Welcome to the forum aussiecam

no matter how much I squint I ain't ever gonna see them there badges ;) any chance of a larger pic? (needs to be 100kb or below) let me know if you need a hand,

cheers, Jon

Sorry, is this any better?

attachment=110627:image0_3.jpg][

Front left (as we look) seated looks like the Queens, Second from left standing looks like Buffs, right seated may be Royal E. Kent Yeomanry?

my inexpert 2p!

Chris

The Buff's man (East Kent Regiment) second left in rear also has a signallers badge on his left sleeve.

Scott.

My take:

Back row: Army Service Corps, Buffs, Labour Corps

Front: Queen's Regiment (or one of the London Territorial Battalikons who wore the lamb) and Army Remounts Service

The Sergeant also seems to be wearing a ribbon, which I would hazard is a Territorial Force Efficiency Medal (Green with central yellow stripe, even though it doesn't look too yellow..)

That's a better pic, they've all got their fathers chin ;)

I agree with Phil above with the exception of the Labour Corps badge which looks more like the General List badge. The Remounts badge is very similar to the East Kent Yeomanry mentioned above but the horse faces the other way and also the Remounts badge carries the royal cypher instead of a crown.

If you have some christian names they'll be much easier to find on any existing documents, SDGW records one King having being born in Reigate but he served with the Royal Scots,

cheers, Jon

Thanks so much for the help . I have actually identified 2 of them - Frank Herbert King was in the Queens Territorials and Ernest Edward King was in Royal Garrisons Artillery 353754 Gunner. The others are Sidney, Walter Charles & Frederick King. I haven't been able to locate them yet.

It ain't that easy ;)

I'm not totally convinced by ASC - doesn't look "spiky" enough to me but I am at a loss to suggest an alternative so.....

Did everyone notice he (far left) has his lanyard on his left shoulder? I am not sure I have seen this before does it have particular significance?

Chris

That's a better pic, they've all got their fathers chin ;)

I agree with Phil above with the exception of the Labour Corps badge which looks more like the General List badge. The Remounts badge is very similar to the East Kent Yeomanry mentioned above but the horse faces the other way and also the Remounts badge carries the royal cypher instead of a crown.

If you have some christian names they'll be much easier to find on any existing documents, SDGW records one King having being born in Reigate but he served with the Royal Scots,

cheers, Jon

The Labour Corps cap badge prior to the introduction of the more familiar badge we know, was indeed the GS(Royal Arms) capbadge. The General List only applied to offiers who wore it in bronze. However the GS capbadge in brass was also worn by members of the Volunteer Force from 1916-1918.

Having looked at the photograph earlier in the week, I thought the man standing on the left was possibly East Surrey Regiment, but there are a couple of similar badges, such as Army Service Corps. Iain Swinnerton's Identifying your World War 1 Soldier from Badges and Photographs has three different cap badges for the Army Remount Service on page 29 and the cap badge on the man seated on the right looks very similar to the badge in middle of these three. I had thought it was possibly Kent Yeomanry, but the horse was facing the wrong way; but then I must admit, I'm no expert.

regards

Bootneck

"The Remounts badge carries the royal cypher instead of a crown." From what I have seen the Remounts badge carries the royal cypher with a crown.

Alan

I'm not totally convinced by ASC - doesn't look "spiky" enough to me but I am at a loss to suggest an alternative so.....

Did everyone notice he (far left) has his lanyard on his left shoulder? I am not sure I have seen this before does it have particular significance?

Chris

EDIT EDIT

Of course I mean RIGHT shouder! RIGHT (the other left)

"The Remounts badge carries the royal cypher instead of a crown." From what I have seen the Remounts badge carries the royal cypher with a crown.

Alan

Of course it does, thanks for the correction Alan. And thanks to Graham for the confirmation of the GS/LC badge

cheers, Jon

THanks so much for all the help. I have now POSITIVELY identified two of them - Frank Herbert King, Queens Territorials & George King, Remounts ASC. Still struggling with the others but will get there!