Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24/ en 27/Northumberland Fus attack 22/10/1917

Cnock

Hello,

I am looking for the war diary of 24 en 27 Northumberland Fus (102 Brig - 34 Div) for attack 22/10/1917.

Regards,

Cnock

Hello,

I am looking for the war diary of 24 en 27 Northumberland Fus (102 Brig - 34 Div) for attack 22/10/1917.

Regards,

Cnock

Hello,

I noticed your interest in the attack of 22/10/1917 by 24/27 NF.

At the present time I am awaiting copies of the same diary and attack. I just wondered what your interest in this particular action would be?

My own stems from my collection of local mens medals, of which one set were given to the family of the young officer KIA in that attack. In fact at Ricquet Farm.

2/Lt. Arthur Thompson who was newly posted to the unit and under Lt. N.L. Wood, I think in 'D' Coy. 24th(Tyneside Irish)NF.

If you are willing to wait a couple of weeks I will be able to get the information to you.

Maybe we could exchange information on the attack.

Regards,

Dick

Eddy,

PM also returned.

Dick

Just had a word with my researcher and they tell me that the war diary for the month of October, 1917 is only a couple of pages long. Not much information.

I asked them to get it anyway, if it doesn't have the info I want, it may have the info you need.

Will PM/email later. In a bit of a rush.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Having problems with my scanner, will bung copies in the post for you.

Cheers,

Dick

Eddy

The papers are in the post as of Saturday afternoon.

Cheers,

Dick

• 8 years later...

I'm somewhat new to all this, and I also realise that that this thread was last in use a good many years ago. If any of you are still following this thread, perhaps you can get in touch. I think that the Lt N. L. Wood referred to by Bingo794 was my grandfather:

1. As Second Lieutenant N.L. Wood joined the 27th Battalion, The Northumberland Fusiliers in France as Platoon Commander from November 1916. He was awarded a Mention in Despatches (MD) for his service. He was injured at Baillaeul near Arras on 12 April 1917 having stepped on a Germanstick bomb. He was casevac’d (CASEVAC, casualty evacuation) back to the UK and subject to hospital. He was released from military service on 6/3/1919

Thanks

Mark