Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

treatment of malaria in India in WW1

Jane Canadian

Another grandfather tidbit to follow-up..

My grandfather served in the RASC in India in 1918-1919 and he related a story about getting malaria from swimming in a river he had been warned not to swim in. He served in/near the Khyber pass.

I awlays thought malaria came from mosquitoes, not water ...however my question is does anyone know if the treatment of malaria at that time would require hospitalization or any references describing the incidence of malaria in the British forces during that period?

Thank you

Jane

One type of malaria always required hospitalisation; that caused by Plasmodium falciparum. Others might. Your g/f did not get malaria from swimming in the river. If he got malaria, it was from a mosquito. However, malaria was often called "marsh fever" because, before Ross proved that it was carried by mosquitoes, people thought that the stagnant water in marshes or sluggish rivers, or even the humid air around those places, was the cause, not realising that these bodies of water were the breeding grounds of the carrier. It was also very common for a diagnosis of malaria to be made when, in fact, the patient has some other form of viral infection causing fever. I regret I have no information per se on the Indian situation re British troops. India wasn't considered a theatre of war at the time - although many served there with great dedication. Hope this helps. Antony

One type of malaria always required hospitalisation; that caused by Plasmodium falciparum. Others might. Your g/f did not get malaria from swimming in the river. If he got malaria, it was from a mosquito. However, malaria was often called "marsh fever" because, before Ross proved that it was carried by mosquitoes, people thought that the stagnant water in marshes or sluggish rivers, or even the humid air around those places, was the cause, not realising that these bodies of water were the breeding grounds of the carrier. It was also very common for a diagnosis of malaria to be made when, in fact, the patient has some other form of viral infection causing fever. I regret I have no information per se on the Indian situation re British troops. India wasn't considered a theatre of war at the time - although many served there with great dedication. Hope this helps. Antony

Thank you that was quite informative. I was just wondering if malaria was common among the troops and how incapacitating it would have been.

Jane

Another grandfather tidbit to follow-up..

My grandfather served in the RASC in India in 1918-1919 and he related a story about getting malaria from swimming in a river he had been warned not to swim in. He served in/near the Khyber pass.

I awlays thought malaria came from mosquitoes, not water ...however my question is does anyone know if the treatment of malaria at that time would require hospitalization or any references describing the incidence of malaria in the British forces during that period?

Thank you

Jane

Jane,

Malaria mosquitoes breed where there is water more so where there is stagnant water. He could well have been bitten while swimming or while going in or out of the water.

Normally, malaria would require hospitalisation as it could prove fatal if not handled properly.

Rgds

Sushil

Having had malaria I can confirm that it will incapacitate and put the patient on their back. A mild dose (which is what I had) is like a very bad flu lasting a few days and does not necessarily require hospitalisation although you will be in bed. As has been said some forms can kill (especially the cerebral variety) and certainly require hospital treatment. One of the problems of even a mild attack is it can come back (I had four bouts each slightly milder than the previous, with 28 days between them, then a pause of about 6 months and then one final relatively mild attack- 20 years later I have my fingers crossed ) In WW1 treatment would probably have been quinine (same stuff you get in tonic water). As I understand it this kills red blood cells but tends to hit those that are damaged in some way first, this includes those infected with the malaria parasite. Today we have all sorts of prophylactics to ward it off but, as I can testify, they don't always work.

Slightly off tangent, but I came across a chap who died of blackwater fever whilst serving in Africa. I'd never given it any thought but had always presumed blackwater referred to contaminated water, which if drunk gave you the disease. However, after a little digging around I found it to be a nasty type of malaria, which colours the urine a very dark colour - hence the blackwater. I've read but can't vouch for its validity that drinking excessive amounts of quinnine to ward off malaria is possibly linked to the blackwater variety.

Regards,

Spud

Spud

Drinking large amounts of quinine does absolutely nothing to ward off malaria (I suspect that it was an excuse for the Sahibs knocking back the GiTs on the veranda of the Scinde Club (now unfortunately dry but they recently used to do good lunches if you could wangle an invite). It has some effect if you've got it (malaria). Unfortunately drinking too much of it can do damage to your production of red blood cells. One of the "two fat ladies" recently recounted how in the time when she was a deb in the swinging sixties and an alcoholic that it turned out that it wasn't so much the bath tub amounts of gin that did the damage but the swimming pool volumes of tonic - because of the quinine)

Darn it, Centurion; you've just knocked away one of my excuses :D

Seriously; I'm glad you're in remission (or cured). It's a nasty infection and, as you rightly point out, would make a man pretty unfit for active service for several days at a time. The Army Malaria Institute reckoned that half of the Desert Mounted Corps in Palestine during WW1 were immobilised by the disease and a hundred died. Obviously, such percentages did not apply to the Western Front. However, I'm not sure about India - which was Jane's question. Antony.

Thank you for all the personal and other info about malaria.

Being in Northern Ontario, I am more than familar with the link between standing water and mosquito breeding ... don't even ask how this summer was for mosquitoes.. fortunately they don't carry malaria here..

I had been wondering if my grandfather would have been hospitalized or not .. and of course if there were any records related to that to be found...

You were all very helpful,

Jane

Jane: there might well be records extant. Given that India at the time was not a "theatre of war", the miltary hospitals would be islands of relative calm and good organisation where records might be more detailed as to name rank and serial number - even of Other Ranks. I regret that such information on the Indian front is outwith my field of interest but some digging could prove fruitful. I see to recall that there are some good threads in this Forum dealing with nursing and hospital work. Good luck. Antony

Slightly off tangent but still relevant.....

My Uncle died in India in 1946 in WW2 of Malaria while serving in the Sikh Light Infantry.

I am trying to research his life but records are sketchy.

The point I would make is this......thirty years or so after treating people for the disease in WW1, troops were still susceptible to Malaria.

I have no idea how bad he had it, how he caught it or what treatment he was given but it was a bad enough strain to kill him.

Slightly off tangent but still relevant.....

My Uncle died in India in 1946 in WW2 of Malaria while serving in the Sikh Light Infantry.

I am trying to research his life but records are sketchy.

The point I would make is this......thirty years or so after treating people for the disease in WW1, troops were still susceptible to Malaria.

I have no idea how bad he had it, how he caught it or what treatment he was given but it was a bad enough strain to kill him.

What was your uncles name?

Sushil

What was your uncles name?

Sushil

Hi Sushil,

2nd Lieutenant David Johnston McKie PARK (368654)......he is buried in Rawalpindi Cemetry.

As I have said, I don't know much about him. He served with the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) before being attached to the SLI.

If you have any info or can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

Tony

Hi Sushil,

2nd Lieutenant David Johnston McKie PARK (368654)......he is buried in Rawalpindi Cemetry.

As I have said, I don't know much about him. He served with the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) before being attached to the SLI.

If you have any info or can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

Tony

Tony,

Do you know the Battalion he served in? The SLI had three battalions. I'll have a look at the regiment's history today and revert.

Sushil

I have the service records for one of the men I am researching who was serving in Salonika, I know it's not India, but his records show he was hospitalised several times with malaria.

Tony,

Do you know the Battalion he served in? The SLI had three battalions. I'll have a look at the regiment's history today and revert.

Sushil

Hi,

I think he was in the third battalion

Thanks

Hi,

I think he was in the third battalion

Thanks

Tony,

I've had a look at the regimental history of the Sikh LI and am surprised not to find your uncles name there. The SLI had very few British officers, how the regimental historian missed out his name is a bit of a mystery. I'll check the IA List on my next visit to the USI which should shed light on his stint with the SLI.

When SLI was raised several names were considered including Sikh Rifles, Sikh Fusiliers and The Sikh Brenadiers, finally Gen Savory suggested Sikh LI. The 3rd Bn was riased on 15 Aug 1942 and they saw service in Thal, Kurram Valley and Ramzak. They came from Wana to Madras sometime in July 1947.

Sushil

Tony,

I've had a look at the regimental history of the Sikh LI and am surprised not to find your uncles name there. The SLI had very few British officers, how the regimental historian missed out his name is a bit of a mystery. I'll check the IA List on my next visit to the USI which should shed light on his stint with the SLI.

When SLI was raised several names were considered including Sikh Rifles, Sikh Fusiliers and The Sikh Brenadiers, finally Gen Savory suggested Sikh LI. The 3rd Bn was riased on 15 Aug 1942 and they saw service in Thal, Kurram Valley and Ramzak. They came from Wana to Madras sometime in July 1947.

Sushil

Hi Sushil,

If you go to the CWGC site he is quoted as being in this regiment and buried in Rawalpindi.

Unfortunately no one in the family can provide any further concrete information. All I have in my possession are a couple of small old photographs from India (?) in April 1946.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Many Thanks

Tony

Hi Sushil,

If you go to the CWGC site he is quoted as being in this regiment and buried in Rawalpindi.

Unfortunately no one in the family can provide any further concrete information. All I have in my possession are a couple of small old photographs from India (?) in April 1946.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Many Thanks

Tony

Tony,

Are sure it is Rawalpindi. As far as I know there is no CWGC Cemetry in Rawalpindi. Pls recheck and revert.

Rgds

Sushil

I have the service records for one of the men I am researching who was serving in Salonika, I know it's not India, but his records show he was hospitalised several times with malaria.

indeed my grandfather who served in salonika was downgraded B2 in 1918 and moved to the labour corps, 30% disability pension after the war, cause? Malaria, Dysentry and Broncitus, had malaria regularly till he died 30 years later. he spent april-july 1918 in hospital then no convelesent camp in salonika, so yes it did knock you down a bit

matt

Hi Sushil,

Please see attachment.

It refers to both his service in the Sikh LI and his burial at Rawalpindi

Thanks

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2178716

Tony,

WOW! This is what I get when I type "Park" and the period 1946!

Will revert once I've seen the IALs.

Sushil :blink:

Casualty Details

Name: PARK, DAVID JOHNSTONE McKIE

Initials: D J M

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: Sikh Light Infantry

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 05/07/1946

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Face 47.

Memorial: RANGOON MEMORIAL

Home | Site Map | Contact Us | Useful Links | Debt of Honour | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Credits

Tony,

WOW! This is what I get when I type "Park" and the period 1946!

Will revert once I've seen the IALs.

Sushil :blink:

Casualty Details

Name: PARK, DAVID JOHNSTONE McKIE

Initials: D J M

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: Sikh Light Infantry

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 05/07/1946

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Face 47.

Memorial: RANGOON MEMORIAL

Home | Site Map | Contact Us | Useful Links | Debt of Honour | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Credits

Hi Sushil,

That is two references with slightly different spellings!

David Johnston McKee PARK and David Johnstone McKie PARK.

Both on the CWGC site.

I can tell you categorically that he was born in Glasgow in 1923 and so is NOT an Indian national. The rest of the information is all the same on each reference, although one says Rangoon and the other Rawalpindi. It would be nice to clear all this up.

I have sent away for his birth certificate so that I can get a confirmation on the name spellings, but the two different references certainly confuse things as a researcher.

I have some old photos of him in India and on the back of one dated April 1946, it says....."Here I am in my civvies, I hope to wear them very soon when I see you"

He died two months later.

Thanks for looking into this at your end, I really appreciate it.

Tony

Judith...

I also had a great uncle who served in the Cyclists Corps in Greece. He went over to Salonika in 1917 and was hospitalised with Malaria at Sarigol, Kalamaria and at Hortiach at various times.

His records show that after his second bout, they put him on light duties which was working in Sanitation. Given that 60,000+ troops were struggling with some form of Malaria in Salonika at the time......i'm not sure that job would have helped him recover too much. But I suppose someone had to do it!

From reports I have read of that campaign, two thirds of the troops suffered from the disease and they even had to burn half of the area to get a 'clean' spot to put the temporary hospital which contained 2000 beds.

Crazy!

Hi Sushil,

That is two references with slightly different spellings!

David Johnston McKee PARK and David Johnstone McKie PARK.

Both on the CWGC site.

I can tell you categorically that he was born in Glasgow in 1923 and so is NOT an Indian national. The rest of the information is all the same on each reference, although one says Rangoon and the other Rawalpindi. It would be nice to clear all this up.

I have sent away for his birth certificate so that I can get a confirmation on the name spellings, but the two different references certainly confuse things as a researcher.

I have some old photos of him in India and on the back of one dated April 1946, it says....."Here I am in my civvies, I hope to wear them very soon when I see you"

He died two months later.

Thanks for looking into this at your end, I really appreciate it.

Tony

Hi Sushil,

Just received my Uncle's birth certificate and can confirm that his name is David Johnston McKee PARK however records still refer to Johnstone McKie.....

Regardless, I would still appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

Tony