Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Nursing Force

dog

Hi

Can any person put me in the right direction to find any information about the following nurse who is commemorated on a family memorial in Spital Cemetery Chesterfield.

Ann Veronica Fletcher, Sister of The Territorial Nursing Force who died 12th March 1917 aged 27, her brother, Charles was killed in action on the Somme 1st July 1916.

I have checked with the BMD and no record of her death was found in this country

Regards

MH

This one is unknown to me as a casualty. Perhaps she had resigned before she died. She does have a Medal Information Card as Anne Veronica Fletcher. I would welcome a photograph of the memorial for my Register.

There is a strong likelihood that the brother is 12/1297 Private Charles Fletcher, 12th (Service) (Sheffield) Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment. He was born in Ripley, Derbyshire, lived in Chesterfield and enlisted in Sheffield. He died of wounds on the 2nd July 1916 and is buried in plot I.B.11, Doullens Communal CemeteryExtension No.1, France.

Dying after discharge does seem the most likely thing, but odd that her death does not appear in the GRO Registers - I suppose she could have died in Scotland. However, she does have a service record at The National Archives (WO399/11267) so that would hopefully shed some light.

Sue

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I have the obituary from the Derbyshire Courier for this lady. She actually died in March 1918 at her home in Spital, Chesterfield. Her death was registered at Chesterfield. The date on the headstone in Spital cemetery is 1917. Her brother is on the war memorial at Spital church, sadly she isn't.

Wendy p

Hi there

I have the obituary from the Derbyshire Courier for this lady. She actually died in March 1918 at her home in Spital, Chesterfield. Her death was registered at Chesterfield. The date on the headstone in Spital cemetery is 1917. Her brother is on the war memorial at Spital church, sadly she isn't.

Wendy p

Hello Wendy, I should love to have a copy of the obituary if at all possible so that I can write up a short biography in my Register of WW1 serving female casualties. We cannot pass messages through here until you have posted 10+ comments but I can be got at jimstrawbridge(at sign)coinsale.fsnet.co.uk Thank you, Jim

Not sure how live this thread still is, as the original poster hasn't returned. But I had a look at the file while I was at TNA today. Ann Fletcher served at the East Leeds War Hospital from 7/5/15 to 11/6/17, on which date she was invalided out. She had no apparent health problems until February 1917, but was then diagnosed with pulmonary tuberculosis, and by June 1917 was already quite ill. She was admitted to Walton Sanatorium, Chesterfield, on 27/6/17. Her disability was declared 'in' but not 'by' her military service. It also seems from her file that she was a rather difficult woman in the ordinary course of things, and did not get on at all well with her colleagues.

Her death reference is - March quarter 1918, Chesterfield, 7b 873.

Sue

Sue, Wendy is still on the case and is awaiting the death certificate. Thank you for posting the extra details that you have found in the file, Jim

It will be interesting to see if TB was the cause given for her death on the death certificate. if so, that might raise a case for CWGC commemoration.

Jim

The file is clear that her service was 'in' but NOT 'by' her service, so difficult to see a way through that one. Also, she had been discharged prior to her death, and on leaving she did not receive any disability pension, so there was certainly no acceptance of responsibility by the Army at that time. There is a suggestion in the file that she was extremely angry about that, but certain correspondence is missing, so can't confirm it all. On the other hand, the file does say that she had been well up until February 1917, so she had been working for nearly two years in military hospitals, so not sure how contracting TB in service can be totally dismissed.

Sue

Sue

If she was discharged on medical grounds are there details of her having TB on being discharged? I would be interested in examining the record. If you would like to send it on I would be grateful. Maybe we can repeat the Bessie Harkness case.

If she was discharged on medical grounds are there details of her having TB on being discharged? I would be interested in examining the record. If you would like to send it on I would be grateful. Maybe we can repeat the Bessie Harkness case.

Yes, she was discharged because she was known to have tuberculosis, and the War Office arranged her stay at the Sanatorium - not sure who footed the bill, but the assumption is that it's the WO. I'll edit the images down a bit today and send them on to you. I shall need to put them on a CD and send them - I'll send an email to sort out address etc.

Regards --- Sue

Hi there

Death Cert arrived today. Causes of death

1 Tuberculosis of the Lungs

2 Asthma

Died at home at Spital Gardens.

Was for over two years in service at East Leeds War Hospital.

Her obituary in the local paper says "Overwork and exposure undermined her constitution and in April last year she was invalided home on pension suffering from phthisis. Her heslth rapidly declined but it was not until Christmas that she had to take to her bed."

She had been complimented by the King on her skilful bandaging!

What do you think?

Wendy

Wendy

This does appear to confirm her as having died of service related causes and it may be possible to have her name added to the CWGC Debt of Honour Roll. I am quite happy collate the details, if you wish, and forward then to CWGC / MOD via the the In From the Cold Project.

With Sue's help we made a case for a Scottish nurse who was accepted recently.

I will send you a PM on the items required. Sue is to send on other info. We need to be able to confirm that the death cerfificate relates to the same person.

UPDATE

I tried to send you a PM but that service is not working for you. Can you send me an e-mail via the website link in my signature below? You will find an e-mail link at the bottom of every web page.

• 2 years later...

A case to MOD / CWGC was accepted today. It is known she is buried at Chesterfield Spital Cemetery and a family headstone exists.

Special thanks to Sue Light for her kind help in this case.

Name: FLETCHER, ANNE VERONICA

Initials: A V

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Territorial Force Nursing Service

Date of Death: 14/03/1918

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: UNITED KINGDOM BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE

• 6 years later...

Hi

I'm new to this but am a member of local group in Spital - Friends of Spital Cemetery.  A service was held on Wednesday in the Cemetery to commemorate the work of Anne Veronica Fletcher and acknowledge her contribution as a woman.  As a result, an offer has been made to repair some of the damage to the lettering on the grave.  Also, a suggestion has been made that a plaque could be put up on the house where she died.  I'm wondering if anyone on this still has the death certificate.  If so, can you give the address where she died?  The burial record says Spital Gardens but doesn't give a house number.

I can supply photo of grave if anyone is still interested.

Thanks, Margaret 

Margaret,

Welcome to the forum.

Ann's Territorial Force Nursing Service {TFNS} service record is available at The National Archives. It can be downloaded here   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10804201   for £3.50. It may show her address where she died. The records will show where she served during the war.

Regards,

In July 17 she was issued a Silver War Badge for her service - this was sent to 'Walton Sanatorium Near Chesterfield Derbyshire.'

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

22 hours ago, FoSC said:

Hi

I'm new to this but am a member of local group in Spital - Friends of Spital Cemetery.  A service was held on Wednesday in the Cemetery to commemorate the work of Anne Veronica Fletcher and acknowledge her contribution as a woman.  As a result, an offer has been made to repair some of the damage to the lettering on the grave.  Also, a suggestion has been made that a plaque could be put up on the house where she died.  I'm wondering if anyone on this still has the death certificate.  If so, can you give the address where she died?  The burial record says Spital Gardens but doesn't give a house number.

I can supply photo of grave if anyone is still interested.

Thanks, Margaret 

She died at Spital House, 7 Spital Gardens, Chesterfield on the 14th March 1918.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I bought a women of the 1st World War poppy pin from British Legion -  the lady it was dedicated to was Anne Veronica Fletcher - spookily my maiden name was Fletcher.  My paternal grandmother was a VAD so it poignant to me.  Im so pleased to find some information about her