Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Puttees

PhilB

7 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Won't you be spending the day vacuuming ?

My copy of  "Army Uniforms of World War 1" by Andrew Mollo and Pierre Turner (Blandford Press, 1977) shows Austrian infantry in puttees, both Officers and Other Ranks, or pantaloons worn with knee length woollen stockings.

The pantaloons are a normal fairly loose trouser down to the knee, then buttoned tightly over the calf, the woollen stockings worn over.

Yes, those are the illustrations that I remember and I think some Croatian and Bosnian units wore foot wrappings.  My main thought  was that the Austrian units largely wore puttees rather than jackboots.

8 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Taking the hounds to the groomer.

8 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Taking the hounds to the groomer.

I would wager he's not a regular, ideally laces should be tied as per ladder rungs (for ease of cutting through for boot removal when wounded) and puttee ends on outside of legs with point of v rearwards.  Great photo though!

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I would wager he's not a regular, ideally laces should be tied as per ladder rungs (for ease of cutting through for boot removal when wounded) and puttee ends on outside of legs with point of v rearwards.  Great photo though!

Frogy,

he is RWF or at least he has the cap badge and T over number over grenade over RWF titles, I'll post the full pic when it arrives.

1 hour ago, Jerry B said:

Frogy,

he is RWF or at least he has the cap badge and T over number over grenade over RWF titles, I'll post the full pic when it arrives.

Thanks Jerry, very smart, as always with RWF ;) but not of the same standard as a regular!

Am I right in thinking that puttees were introduced, based on the "comfortable and inexpensive" Indian version, on the assumption that any future war would be fought in a hot climate?

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Look like American golfers !

That's not a compliment, is it?

Needless to say I couldn't lay my hand on the Almark book (though I'll have another go at the weekend), but I think Mr Drill answered the question anyway.

Great picture of the HLI (aka Glasgow Gurkhas!).  The shorts were made by the battalion tailor (or perhaps Durzi) from cut down trews, and the battalion do not yet seem to be wearing regimental hose tops (footless stockings).

Edited by FROGSMILE

50 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

(aka Glasgow Gurkhas!).  

Stop it. It's not big and it's not clever :lol:

17 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Stop it. It's not big and it's not clever :lol:

Stunted wee Glesga keelies, but apparently they'd 'fecht 'aneywan', frequently the neighbouring regiment 😬

Edited by FROGSMILE

Even, in want of anything else, each other. The description of the old RHF (3 SCOTS) in the ARSSE Encyclopaedia is hilarious.

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Even, in want of anything else, each other. The description of the old RHF (3 SCOTS) in the ARSSE Encyclopaedia is hilarious.

I can well imagine, having served alongside them in the BAOR and recalling them well.  I love the anecdote by David Niven that he was sent to the HLI by the WOSB, because when asked to select his preferred unit among Scottish regiments, he'd replied any Highland regiment other than the HLI. 🤣

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 minutes ago, IPT said:

He didn't like the trews.

Exactly!  Some time subsequently quitted his commission while attending the MMG Course at Netheravon.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 17/09/2017 at 19:09, Uncle George said:

My father, born 1930, tells me that he wore puttees while serving with the Hong Kong Regiment in the late 50s. I just thought I'd mention it ... 

What method did he use to wrap them?

It seems they were meant to be wrapped ankle upwards in turns, but there's pictures of alternative wraps and knee down style.
I can't imagine there's much difference to their effect, other than personal choice.

Derek.

1 hour ago, Derek Black said:

What method did he use to wrap them?

It seems they were meant to be wrapped ankle upwards in turns, but there's pictures of alternative wraps and knee down style.
I can't imagine there's much difference to their effect, other than personal choice.

Derek.

In the late 50s they were so-called 'short puttees', wrapped only around the ankle and worn with 'hose tops' (footless stockings).  Three thin folds were left showing at the boot, and the v end pointing rearwards on the outside of the ankle.

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

In the late 50s they were so-called 'short puttees', wrapped only around the ankle and worn with 'hose tops' (footless stockings).  Three thin folds were left showing at the boot, and the v end pointing rearwards on the outside of the ankle.

Ah, i see.
The long puttees had long gone by then.

Cheers,
Derek.

I wore short puttees in the TA in the late 70's. Indeed, I still have a pair to go with the Boots, DMS I kept.

You should see me at fancy dress parties.

Although I have only worn short puttees, there would have been some similarities, in the way I put them on, etc., with long puttee wearers.

One knew where to start on the ankle so that the puttee finally ended up with the V shape in the correct place.

The tying tapes, as supplied, were far too long, allowing for about 10 turns round the ankle, so these were cut short allowing for three or four turns which was quite sufficient.

There was an "inside" and an "outside" - the square end had a folded over hem and the V end was created by two 45 degree hems - the hems were "inside."

When you took them off you rolled them up carefully in reverse to make them easy and straightforward to put back on.

Although ungainly, they were much preferred to the webbing anklet. However, high boots were better yet. The only officially issued high boots in the 60s and 70s were the green canvas and rubber Jungle Boot, and the Northern Ireland Patrol Boot. On return to European climes, the Jungle Boot could be dyed with black boot polish to look like leather - however, they were not much good in Europe for anything but posing as they had drain holes. 

In sandy places the preferred footwear was the self-purchased Bata Desert Boot. 500 baisa or fils/ Ten bob a pair from the Wog Shop.

Blimey....'black stained' canvas jungle boots worn at home...what fish and chip mob were you in? 😬

Edited by FROGSMILE

25 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Blimey....'black stained' canvas jungle boots worn at home...what fish and chip mob were you in? 😬

The Greek Street Evzones.

Responsible for the St Valentine's Day Moussaka.

Liked to wear 44 Pattern Webbing belts at home too . . . .