Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform

Myduckie2

I am trying to identify this uniform. I believe this may be my grandfathers brother and I suspect he may have been killed in WW1. Can anyone identify. I was told it was a calvalry uniform because of the spurs, but would like some additional info if possible.

post-48785-1251850478.jpg

Welcome to the forum Sherry,

he's certainly a mounted soldier but the badge is difficult to see from here, I'd say 7th Dragoons but the collar badges don't support this, any chance of a closer look or even better do you have a name for him?

cheers, Jon

edit: after squinting through the bottom of my glass for the past 5 minutes the 8th (King's Royal Irish) Hussars springs to mind

I'd go with 8th Hussars as well, but the collar badges concern me - not a wartime phenomenon in the main.

The Cap Badge appears to be ACC~Army Cyclist Corps? IMHO~HB

The Cap Badge appears to be ACC~Army Cyclist Corps? IMHO~HB

Must have been a hell of a bicycle if he had to wear spurs!

I am trying to identify this uniform. I believe this may be my grandfathers brother and I suspect he may have been killed in WW1.

What was his name? It may be possible to trace from the MIC.

Welcome to the forum Sherry,

he's certainly a mounted soldier but the badge is difficult to see from here, I'd say 7th Dragoons but the collar badges don't support this, any chance of a closer look or even better do you have a name for him?

cheers, Jon

edit: after squinting through the bottom of my glass for the past 5 minutes the 8th (King's Royal Irish) Hussars springs to mind

Thanks very much. I think you have answered my question. My great grandfather's brother was named Richard Philip Woodman. I have been able to check on Ancestry.ca and I have found a Richard Philip Woodman killed on March 22, 1918 - reg number 5480 8th (KIngs Roal Irish Hussars). Your information was very much appreciated. Unfortunately I just came back from there and didn't know about my great uncle being killed there. Thank you again.

Sherry,

Richard is listed as being born in Cirencester, Glouscetershire, enlisted in Cheltenham and a resident of London. He was reported killed in action on the 22nd March 1918, at the time of his death the 8th Hussars were part of the 9th Cavalry Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division and were taking part in the Battle of St. Quentin (21st - 23rd March 1918). Sadly Richard has no known grave and is remembered on the Pozieres Memorial, here's his listing on the CWGC,

cheers, Jon

Sherry,

Richard is listed as being born in Cirencester, Glouscetershire, enlisted in Cheltenham and a resident of London. He was reported killed in action on the 22nd March 1918, at the time of his death the 8th Hussars were part of the 9th Cavalry Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division and were taking part in the Battle of St. Quentin (21st - 23rd March 1918). Sadly Richard has no known grave and is remembered on the Pozieres Memorial, here's his listing on the CWGC,

cheers, Jon

Hello. This was as I had suspected, and I certainly appreciate you providing me with all of this information as well as the battle information. I will defintely be making a trip back to France and take in the Poziere's memorial.

Sherry