Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Middx Regt in the Balkans

andyspiller

Pals

Currently researching a great-uncle. His MIC states just that he was in the Middx Regt and that he was entitled to the 1914-15 Star with an date of 15/7/1915 in the Balkans (area 2b). He was subsequently KIA in F&F in April 1917 during the 2nd Battle of the Scarpe whilst serving with 1st Bn Middx Regt.

Does anyone know which Bns of the Middx would have been in Gallipoli in July 1915.

Curiously his twin brother served with 2/10th Bn Middx and has a date of entitlement of 9/8/1915 also in the Balkans (2b).

Regards

Andy

Andy,

I don't know of any other Middlesex battalions at Gallipoli. I am only aware of the 2/10th being involved in the campaign. I can dig out some info, if required.

Regards

AGWR

AGWR

Currious if the twins initially served in the same Bn! As I have an interest in the 2/10th Bn because of the other twin, any further info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy

• 2 months later...

I am just researching my fathers military history as he was in the 11th (PrinceAlberts Own)Hussars - 1914 from Middlesex, and one of the "Old Contemptibles".

He was born in Ealing Middlesex and I noted that there were a considerable number of "Middlesex" formations who were part of the BEF and who first went to Mons,Flanders and Gallipoli.

There were 4 Infantry Divisions with the !st Calvary division in 1914 who saw action in Mons, Elouges, Aisne etc. If you look up "The Long,Long Trail" and "The Duke of Cambridges Own (Middlesex Regiment) in 1914-1918' you will find details of all the Battalions who fought throughout the Western Front. Hope one of these may assist.

Hi Andy

Im looking at a Beds man in Balkans from 10/08/1915 and KIA in F&F 1918. Different units, similar timing but same 'path' it seems. Ive got no end of general info such as Divisional make ups and some Brigade and Battalion level movements, so will have a look. Afraid its at home, so will post what I find if no one else has already helped out.

So 'his twin' was probable in the same area as my man, maybe even in the same troop ship or convoy? Do you know the names of the ships they were on, as I have some info on the ships dotted around.

I see the 1/10th and 1/11th (County of London) Battalions, the London regiment were in the 162nd Brigade 54th Division in the Balkans; were they the same as the Middx or different (sorry, I havent learned anything about them so far). Will also look thru the Beds diaries for a mention of the Middx.

Anyway, Ill get back to you mate.

Steve

Another thought. I recall mention to a Bivouac area called Finsbury Vale that the 162nd used. Isnt that in Middx? If so, suggests they were around there?

Steve