Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The growth of a legend;.... of francs-tireurs and"atrocities&quot

206thCEF

The growth of a legend; a study based upon the German accounts of francs-tireurs and "atrocities" in Belgium

by Fernand van Langenhove and undated.

http://www.archive.org/details/growthoflegendst00langrich

The German fury in Belgium; experiences of a Netherland journalist during four months with the German army in Belgium by L.Mokveld.

http://www.archive.org/details/germanfuryinbelg00mokv

From the American Libraries Internet Archive.

Joe

• 8 years later...

Here is an interesting photo which shows German riflemen being apparently directed by NCOs or officers in their fire over a Belgian city.  One can well imagine in those days of primitive communications how such fire would be taken for that of "francs tireurs" by other German troops and how such a detachment seeing the puffs of dust created by bullet strikes from other troops would take these for muzzle smoke of the fabled "francs tireurs", and of course vise versa, soon leading to numerous imaginary "firefights", as has happened on innumerable other occasions in war, even with much more modern communications. 

Franc tireurs.jpg

Edited by 2ndCMR
Spelling

That is a posed press photo and doesn't mean anything. It is in fact showing an air raid watch on a tower in Ghent.

Jan

Edited by AOK4

On 2/6/2018 at 21:10, AOK4 said:

That is a posed press photo and doesn't mean anything. It is in fact showing an air raid watch on a tower in Ghent.us as such.

Jan

I see, an air raid in which the planes were lower than the tower?

And you know this and that it is a posed photo how exactly?

Posed photos of that period are generally very obvious as such.

I have seen quite a few posed photos, but this one does not appear so to me.  The urgent appearance of their stance and the way the NCO or officer is pointing and touching the man on the back with his left hand is exactly the kind of gesture a superior makes on such occasions. 

An "air raid watch" in all the photos I have seen in that war or others invariably consisted of men looking upward, rather than men looking horizontally with rifles at the ready.  If they were "watching", why bother with rifles at all?

Notice the sandbags on which the men are resting their arms and rifles?  What point would there be in those if they were intending to shoot at aircraft? 

The pickelhaubes of course indicate a 1914 or perhaps 1915 date. 

Was the RFC raiding Ghent in 1914/15?

Edited by 2ndCMR

You can believe what you want. It is Ghent and there were no Franktireure or anything alike in Ghent.

Pickelhauben were worn by Landsturm units until the end of the war.

As it is a posed picture, pointing their rifles anywhere has no meaning whatsoever.

Just now, AOK4 said:

You can believe what you want. It is Ghent and there were no Franktireure or anything alike in Ghent.

Pickelhauben were worn by Landsturm units until the end of the war.

As it is a posed picture, pointing their rifles anywhere has no meaning whatsoever.

It seems that is a universal ability, more pronounced in some quarters than others of course.

But you didn't say how you knew it was a posed photo?

Nor did you expand upon the other illogicalities I mentioned.

Have you reviewed the two books linked in the first post?  I found them quite interesting reading over the last hour or so.

I had forgotten the anti-Catholic "kulturkampf" aspect of the innumerable accusations of shooting, arson and murder of wounded men etc. made against Belgian priests and lay brothers.

Edited by 2ndCMR