Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian Decoration

joanbelge

Hello I am new to this forum so hope this post is in right place.

I know from the regimental history and local press that my great uncle recieved the Belgian Deoration Militaire in late 1917 or early 1918. I have seen the entry in the London Gazette. He was in the 106th Field Company RE. I have read the war diary at Chatham and although his death was reported there was no mention of how the medal was won.

Can anyone give me any further clues.. Thank you Joan

Decoration Militaire:~Link

it is very unlikely that a "Citation" for his award exists,he may have never seen a Belgian!,These awards were granted reciprocally between the Allied Nations,not in any great numbers to reward varying degrees of Gallantry & Good Deeds that possibly a British award was considered "not quite up to it!" that said unit by unit comparitively few were awarded & some mention might be found in a contemporary Newspaper from where he lived.

The London Gazette Promulgation would include his name in a list of those awarded the Decoration @ the time.

{These can be viewed / downloaded FoC]

Decoration Militaire:~Link

it is very unlikely that a "Citation" for his award exists,he may have never seen a Belgian!,These awards were granted reciprocally between the Allied Nations,not in any great numbers to reward varying degrees of Gallantry & Good Deeds that possibly a British award was considered "not quite up to it!" that said unit by unit comparitively few were awarded & some mention might be found in a contemporary Newspaper from where he lived.

The London Gazette Promulgation would include his name in a list of those awarded the Decoration @ the time.

{These can be viewed / downloaded FoC]

Thank you for that ,I guess I know it is unlikely that we will ever find out, the local press in his obituary said " he had just heard he had been awarded the decoration militaire" just before he was killed so I dont think real news of the award had reached home