Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with regiment

methven 2nd bat middlesex

Hi I wonder if any body can help, I have this photo of my great grandfather on the back of the photo his daughter had written "my father and my uncle walt"

now i know my great grandfather was in the middlesex regiment and after research I found my grandfathers brother walter in the 13th bn rifle brigade (prince consorts own)

What I wanted to know is if the uniform cap bag of one of the soilders in the picture is different to that of my great grandfathers.

You can see by the picture my great gradfather has a circle and a cross above his head

I would appreciate any help many thanks

Tracy Methven

post-5823-1251559083.jpg

Hi I will try I had to make it smaller to downlaod it I will try again Thanks tracy

Hi I will try I had to make it smaller to downlaod it I will try again Thanks tracy

post-5823-1251561462.jpg

Looks like Middlesex Regt badge to me for all three.

TT

I cant understand if they are all from the middesex regiment the only walter john methven I can find is the one I have researched and on his death cwgc it has his sisters name as next of kin

Surly the daughter who wrote on the back would have known her dad and uncle

Could he have been in both regiments ?

Thanks again Tracy

Tracy,

There are a couple of possibilities:

Walter served first in the Middx Regt. before going overseas and earning his campaign medals. He could have been transferred to the Rifle Brigade, with whom he later entered a theatre of war, and thus the RB issued his medals.

Or, the photo is only of your grandfather and some pals, and does not include his brother Walter.

Does SDGW give any other regiment for Walter?

He might have a service record - have you checked Ancestry.com? The service record of course would clarify.

hi Ian and thankyou for your reply

First im afaraid no service records on ancestry for him or my great grandfather (they were destroyed )

Can you tell me what SDGW is please?

Some one did a look up for me some time ago and found him Enlisted at whitehall ,Born wimbledon (which it right) and it has his residents as bethnal green , but no date

im not sure if i can find a date? so im not sure he was in the middlesex regiment?

Thanks again for your help

Tracy

Soldiers Died in the Great War.

Sounds like that was previously consulted for the enlistment info. However it would be worth another lookup to see it it mentions a previous regiment.

Tracy

SDGW is "Soldiers Died [in the] Great War"

A list of casualties organized by regiment and divided up by battalion. They were first published in the early 1920s, are available as reprints and were available as a CD ROM database (searchable)

Typically a record gives name, rank, number, place of birth, place of enlistment, date of death and whether the individual Died, Died of Wounds or was Killed in Action and the theatres in which they died.

Chris

Gave it a bit of a clean up..

post-14525-1251569859.jpg

Blimey Ian

Great minds and all that!

Chris

Good Lord... I did not see your version when I posted my pic, but the 'cloning' looks similar in each too.

We spoil 'em for choice!

Thankyou every one for all your help and a big thankyou for making the picture much clearer it looks great

Tracy