Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Italian Bronze Medal for Military Valour

NeilEvans

Gunner George Morgan was awarded the Italian Bronze Medal for Military Valour, the award is listed in the London Gazette 26/05/1917. I know nothing about the Italian Bronze Medal for Military Valour. George has a few pension records available on ancestry, but, nothing relating to the award.

I have a couple of questions

1, How many Brits were awarded the medal?

2, Were the medals inscribed with the recipients details?

Neil Evans

I have looked up 3 other Al Valore in collections and they are indeed engraved with the recipients details, sorry for the incorrect info posted earlier.

Regards,

Murrough.

• 4 weeks later...
Gunner George Morgan was awarded the Italian Bronze Medal for Military Valour, the award is listed in the London Gazette 26/05/1917. I know nothing about the Italian Bronze Medal for Military Valour. George has a few pension records available on ancestry, but, nothing relating to the award.

I have a couple of questions

1, How many Brits were awarded the medal?

2, Were the medals inscribed with the recipients details?

Neil Evans

Hi. Answer to your first question is Bronze 954, Silver 366 awarded to Commonwealth forces.

Peter

Hi. Answer to your first question is Bronze 954, Silver 366 awarded to Commonwealth forces.

Peter

One of the silver ones going to the air ace 'Billy' Barker for an action parachuting an Italian agent behind the lines. The agent got awarded a gold, Barker a silver and the navigator Wedgewood Benn (the current Tony Benn's dad) a bronze.

• 1 month later...

Peter,

Only just found this again thanks for the info. I actually purchased George Morgan's 1914/15 Star in Lincoln. Interesting to know that ony a handful of Brits were awarded this honour.

Neil

Most likely awarded unamed & privately engraved...

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

Peter that's great I have a group with a bronze one i it and wanted to know this exact question but somebody else had already asked the question .Thanks PS Where did you get the info from a book,internet i have looked for ages .Anyway less than a 1000 bronze is not many at all

MC

Peter that's great I have a group with a bronze one i it and wanted to know this exact question but somebody else had already asked the question .Thanks PS Where did you get the info from a book,internet i have looked for ages .Anyway less than a 1000 bronze is not many at all

MC

Hi MC

I have a database of Gazetted foreign awards for Commonwealth forces WW1, that I have built up over many years from numerous sources. I do not say that it is 100% but it must be very, very close.

Most foreign awards are (and I will use the word) RARE when compared to the usual DSO, DCM, MC & MM 's. Even the most common foriegn gongs are quite scarce.

Peter

Hi MC

I have a database of Gazetted foreign awards for Commonwealth forces WW1, that I have built up over many years from numerous sources. I do not say that it is 100% but it must be very, very close.

Most foreign awards are (and I will use the word) RARE when compared to the usual DSO, DCM, MC & MM 's. Even the most common foriegn gongs are quite scarce.

Peter

Peter great collection to have i have got cornation lists ,jubilee ,army lists 1913 to 1937 and a pile of other reference books ,but foriegn decorations are not in them .If you could please could you see if a Douglas welsh hendin has an award of a french criox de guerre his service record shows yes ,wedding picture yes,private research yes but NO on LG its very annoying and the LG is the bible of proof

thanks MC

I have a Gold one to a member of 14th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Peter great collection to have i have got cornation lists ,jubilee ,army lists 1913 to 1937 and a pile of other reference books ,but foriegn decorations are not in them .If you could please could you see if a Douglas welsh hendin has an award of a french criox de guerre his service record shows yes ,wedding picture yes,private research yes but NO on LG its very annoying and the LG is the bible of proof

thanks MC

Hi MC

I have no listing of his CdG as being gazetted, but as I stated, I can not say that my list is 100% but is very close.

With saying that there are instances where medals were awarded in Army orders but not in the LG. I have a couple of AO's for 1914.

The old stories of French & Belgium Generals handing out medals has some truth to them. I have a trio with Bel Croix civique plus certificate, listed in his service papers but not gazetted. To me this is as good as being gazetted, because the Army authorities would not put something in service records that the recipient was not entitled to.

I would accept your man as being awarded the CdG.

I love his MC citation & do you know why he was MID in 1944 & what rank did he end up with ??

Regards

Peter

Peter Thanks for that yes he was in the Buffs ,nice citation he was also at Dunkirk left on 1st June last day.As to his MiD 1944 dont know why ,he also got 53 coronation he ended up as a LT-Col with the pioneer corps in africa ,to italy .11 medals in his group very nice tend to agree about the ce de guerre

must be for real have wedding pictures etc with him in uniform hence him wearing it in 1922.

MC

It is worth checking the Foreign Office records at Kew to see if there is a file relating to the awards you're interested in. The King's permission was required for receiving and wearing foreign awards and this required paperwork!

• 4 years later...
Guest Deschris

Hi John

My wifes grandfather was awarded this medal, he was a 2nd Lieut. in the 1/8th Worcestershires, his citation reads. For great daring and skilful leadership in a raid on Eidelweis spur, 1 mile S. W. of Asiago in Italy on 3/9th August 1916. He led the first wave of the Company. It was due to his dash and gallantry that our men overpowered the enemy in the front line trench the moment the barrage lifted. He himself killed two of the enemy. His platoon took 10 prisoners and on being ordered to withdraw he led his men with their prisoners with great skill back through the enemy barrage.

Unfortunately he was fatally injured in August 1918 by friendly fire while clearing the enemy from the village of Maretz in France. We are so proud of him.

• 4 years later...

We have just found out that my wifes great grandfather received this medal. He was a Chief Petty Officer , George Walter Howse and has this ribbon along with his P, S & W and Naval LSGC. Any ideas where I might find the citation. 

Cheers

Hi

Unfortunately recommendations / citations are very rare to find. If he was army I would suggest war dairy of the unit he was in, but I do not know the equivalent naval. The only other thing I can suggest is the local newspaper from whence he came may have some info if you are lucky.   

There is an Admiralty file dealing with the award of the Al Valore Militare to naval recipients.  It is years since I last looked at it, but my memory says that nominations were made by British Officers Commanding from a batch provided by the Italians.  You could try a look at ADM 116/1576 in the National Archives. 

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 15:37, Ernesto said:

We have just found out that my wifes great grandfather received this medal. He was a Chief Petty Officer , George Walter Howse and has this ribbon along with his P, S & W and Naval LSGC. Any ideas where I might find the citation. 

Cheers

In case you don't have it, this is the London Gazette notice

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30386/supplement/11925

and this is the heading page

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30386/supplement/11925

Its people like you fellas that make my life so much easier. I dont mind hard work but some people are so much better at it than me !

Thankyou for your massive help

• 1 month later...

Hi new member and amazed at the amount of amazing research and advice that is on this forum . After 2 days searching the London Gazette to confirm an Al  Valorie medal to 6680 Pte William Henry Pryor 1st North Staffordshire regiment D.C.M. Can anyone assist ? Thanks