Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driscoll's Scouts

SteveE

Driscoll's Scouts were an 'Irregular' force serving in South Africa throughout the duration of the Boer War and I believed were disbanded afterwards.

Before anybody jumps on me for being off-topic, I thought this to be the case until.....

1. We have a reference on a Great War Memorial to a man serving in this unit. (see a thread I started elsewhere on the forum) and.....

2. There are two men on the MIC's online listed as having served in Driscoll's Scouts (no other units), one a Serjeant (David A Griessel), the other a Trooper (J. Campbell). I haven't downloaded the MIC's so don't know what theatre they served in.

Question is did this unit really exist on the establishment during the Great War or is it just a throwback to a bygone era?

Steve

Steve

My memory may be paying me false but I seem to recall some connection between Driscolls Scouts and the South African Irish Regiment.

Dricoll himself became involved with the 25th Fusiliers (Legion of Frontiersmen).

See: http://www.frontiersmenhistorian.info/fusiliers.htm

Dave

• 14 years later...

Good Morning, my grandfather, Joseph John William BOOTH, we believe was a member of Driscoll’s Scouts, 2nd Boer War. I am interested how he joined, sailed to South Africa and any other information. No military training, I imagine he attended one Driscoll’s rallies and signed up and sailed away? Joseph later sailed to Sydney arriving in the harbour during the visit of the USA’s great white fleet. He served in the Great War and returned to live at Hardy’s Bay and Kilcare, NSW. Any information appreciated.

William Johnson

w-johnson@bigpond.com

Bulimba, Queensland.