Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identify RGA uniform markings please

boris

Hi,

Could any of you help identify my grandfathers stripes on his right arm 4 chevrons? I think i can make out a wound stripe on his left arm as well, correct?

Thanks!

grandaedwardatterby32.jpg

Boris,

Sergeant with four overseas service stripes on lower right sleeve and one wound stripe on left sleeve. Above the sergeants stripes is the gun worn by sergeant in the Royal Artillery.

Tony P

Boris,

Sergeant with four overseas service stripes on lower right sleeve and one wound stripe on left sleeve. Above the sergeants stripes is the gun worn by sergeant in the Royal Artillery.

Tony P

Thanks Tony!

Tony,

surprised none of the Arty boys has chimed in..........the badge above the rank chevrons is always referred to as "the piece" in the Royal Regiment.

Tony,

surprised none of the Arty boys has chimed in..........the badge above the rank chevrons is always referred to as "the piece" in the Royal Regiment.

Sqirrel,

My Grandad and Dad would be turning in their grave. As a baby I was on the ration strength of a Territorial Bty in 1939 (Dad was the Regular BSM instructor) I had the rank of Trumpeter.However a wrong turning at the Recruiting Office in 1957 resulted in me joining the RAF Police, should ave known better I suppose. I have Dad's 'pieces' crossed guns etc.

Tony P

Boris,

As his records appear not to have survived, you may be interested to know it was at Passchendaele he qualified for his wound stripe.

At that point in the war he was a Bdr, and he was wounded on the 30-9-1917, when his battery was positioned at English Farm.

Rgds Paul

Boris,

As his records appear not to have survived, you may be interested to know it was at Passchendaele he qualified for his wound stripe.

At that point in the war he was a Bdr, and he was wounded on the 30-9-1917, when his battery was positioned at English Farm.

Rgds Paul

:o:o Wow! Paul,

Thankyou so much for all that information, so much more than i ever expected! Would you maybe know which Battery or regiment he was with?

Regards,

Boris.

Boris,

He served with 18 Siege Battery RGA (as Flory surmised). A battery of 2 x12 in Howitzers on railway mountings; its two sections went out to the Western front. The RX left from Southampton on 27-9-1915, arrived Le Havre on, you’ve guessed it, 28-9-15. The LX went out on the 17-10-1915. The whole for the LX at disembarkation which is detailed, so gives you a good idea of the logistics involved in moving such a piece, consisted of: 3 passenger coaches, gun truck, truck with gun and cradle, 3 open trucks plus one covered truck with stores, and a brake van.

There is nothing to indicate the cause of his wounding, but it was sufficiently important for it to be recorded, as other than Officers he is only one of about 18 OR’s, to be mentioned by name in the whole of the18 Sge Bty war diary.

His actual medal roll confirms his battery, and while he went out to a theatre of war as A/Sgt, and you now know he was a Bdr as at Sept 1917, he held the rank of Cpl at armistice.

If you PM me with your email, I will send you the relevant pages.

Rgds Paul

...and another nice touch; the 'thunderer' pea-whistle, which I'd always suspected/been told was an NCO version of the standard Hudson police-type whistle (you know, the 'over the bags, boys', one...)..

Peter

...and another nice touch; the 'thunderer' pea-whistle, which I'd always suspected/been told was an NCO version of the standard Hudson police-type whistle (you know, the 'over the bags, boys', one...)..

Peter

Peter,

The whistle is standard artillery issue and known as the Artillery Whistle.

Cavalry got the Police patern with Thumb ring and the Infantry the Police pattern.

There was also the Police pattern with chjain and hokk issued to the "police"

This IAW PC Stores.

Joe Sweeney

Boris,

If you PM me with your email, I will send you the relevant pages.

Rgds Paul

Thanks again Paul, great info...cheers!