Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Too Stunning to be true?

flyban

only my 2nd post so if I'm in wrong place please forgive.

My wife's grandfather is listed as being a prisoner in Shneidemuhl, Provence of Posen. and on browsing regiments page on this forum, under 1/5 Seaforth's, I came across an excerpt from the diary of Crpl. Charles Green 7721, 1st Battn.Scots Guards, 1st. brigade, 1st Div.

This stunningly tells of a battle (possibly around Zanvoorde Chateu),and mentions that approx. "170 Scots Guardsmen" were captured.

Can this possibly be the moment that my wife's grandfather was captured as he goes on to mention that they were tranported later that day to Schneidemuhl.

Given that I have a photo of Pte. John Foster in unknown ( to me ) Scottish kilted uniform and a later picture of him in camp uniform from Shneidemuhl.

The Kilted photo has handwritten in pencil 1/5 Seaforth (the only sensible guess I can make, given the condition).

Were they there that day? How do I go about finding list of captured soldiers.

If anybody can assist me I would be very grateful.

Flyban

What date are you considering? ("That day...")

1/5th Seaforth were indeed a kilted unit, whereas Scots Guards weren't. Without knowing the timeframe we cannot comment on whether this was an action involving both regiments. It is of course possible that in the same action as there were Scots Guards prisoners taken there were also 1/5th Seaforth prisoners. Then again, they may just have ended up in the same camp but at differing times.

Flyban

What date are you considering? ("That day...")

1/5th Seaforth were indeed a kilted unit, whereas Scots Guards weren't. Without knowing the timeframe we cannot comment on whether this was an action involving both regiments. It is of course possible that in the same action as there were Scots Guards prisoners taken there were also 1/5th Seaforth prisoners. Then again, they may just have ended up in the same camp but at differing times.

sorry, forgot to put date in question . It's 29th October 1914