Remembered Today:

Ernest Hey Bolmeer, 13th East Yorkshire Regiment

bigronhartley

Hello,

I am seeking any information regarding a Hull man, Pte Ernest Hey Bolmeer, 13/1178 East Yorkshire Regiment and 873 Army Cyclist Corps before receiving a Commission in the Army Cyclist Corps. Following the War, he resigned his Commission and joined the ranks of the Royal Army Service Corps. I would be most grateful for any information about his career, transfer from the East Yorks to the Army Cyclist Corps and/or with the RASC. Any biographical details would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Ron,

Ernest Henry joined the 13th Battalion at City hal Hull in the Second week of January 1915, the house down De La Pole Ave is still in use today.

Regards Charles

Hello Charles,

Thanks for your reply and the information about his enlistment. Any ideas on his transfer to the Army Cyclist Corps ? His middle name is actually Hey, his mother's maiden name. His brother Oscar Bolmeer served with the 10th East Yorkshires and his Service Papers are on Ancestry. Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

Hello Charles,

Hey, his mother's maiden name.

Do you know if his mother was Lillian H Bolmeer or Elizabeth Bolmeer? I was confused as to why there were two women with that surname in the right location (one may be a sister?).

Lilian H Bolmeer died March Quarter 1915, aged 45, in Hull (around the time Ernest enlisted).

On the 1901 census, there are three Bolmeers, Ernest, Oscar and Elizabeth (b 1868 Stockton, Yorks) in the same location.

Also, Ernest and Oscar appear to have been born in Caistor, Market Raison, Lincs. (or (Oscar - Cleethorpes, Ernest - Grimsby, and registered Caistor?)

Hello 'IPT',

Thanks for your reply. The name of the mother appears to be ambiguous, on the birth certificate of Ernest Hey Bolmeer she is down as Elizabeth Ann Bolmeer (formerly Hey) but on the 1911 Census she appears as Lilian Boyle (this could be a mistranscription as Ernest is called Botmier). They (mother and two sons) were living at 23, Arlington Street, Hull with her parents John and Lydia. I haven't found any trace of the father who was obviously either German or Swedish (latter according to Oscar Bolmeer's Service Papers). The death of Lilian H Bolmeer who died March Quarter 1915, aged 45, in Hull certainly is a strong candidate agewise, though age varies a bit in the Census returns. Thanks for your help. Any further suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron,

I'm afraid that's where my amateur detective work fizzles out.

My first idea, given the locations of Grimsby and Hull, was that his father was a sailor, who abandoned his family. Or he could have died and had his name mispelled.

Also, ships brought trans-migrants into the east coast ports in the UK (Hull, Grimsby etc) from Scandinavia, Germany, (all the places where the surname may be found, unfortunately) Belgium for example before shipping out through Liverpool. The only Bolmeer mentioned at Ellis Island is Karl, aged 16.

I did wonder whether you would admit to having a German father when enlisting. You might be worried about being interned. Does the birth certificate state the father's first name?

You have probably already seen his officers personal file is held at NA, Kew. Its dated from 1918 on.

I'm babbling now so i'll stop.

IPT

Hello Charles,

It's a bit of a puzzle, its Ernest Hey on his MIC. Any chance of a scan of the Medal Rolls ? I'm trying to establish which A Cyling C he served with.

Regards

Ron

Hello IPT,

Thanks for your reply. The birth certificate states the father's first names as Ernst Henrik Wilhelm. Any further thoughts ? Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

Ron

There is an Elizabeth Ann Hey marrying in the Dec Qtr 1890 Caistor RD to a Ernst Henrik W Balmeir or Bolmeir (its recorded under both spellings) this is probably his parent's marriage.

On 9th March 1930 he is a passenger on a ship returning to Hull from Egypt his address is given as c/o O.C RASC, Aldershot with him are his wife Cecilia aged 33 and son Oscar aged 15

L/Cpl and Mrs E H Bolmeer showing as leaving London for Port Said, Egypt on 27th April 1935

In the 1950's he appears in telephone directories in Cowes and looks to have an antique shop.

Regards

Pam

Hello Pam,

Thanks very much for your reply regarding the Bolmeer family. I had managed to find the marriage of Elizabeth Ann Hey and Ernst Henrik W Balmeir or Bolmeir in the Dec Qtr 1890 Caistor RD but that was about all. I'll now look for his marriage and the birth of his son Oscar (around 1915). The information regarding his passage to Hull from Egypt and leaving London for Port Said, Egypt is a real bonus. I'll also check the telephone directories for Cowes, I O W. Thanks again for all this information, it is much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

Hello IPT,

The Bolmeir spelling variant opens up the possibility it's Bolmeier or Bolmeiier. I thought German or Dutch. Is Swedish a possibility ? It's definitely Bolmeer on the Birth Certificate of Ernest Hey, possibly an attempt to anglecise the name to reduce any future prejudice ! Any thoughts ?

Regards

Ron

Hello Lars,

Thanks very much for your reply. Oscar Bolmeer does actually state his father is Swedish so that appears to confirm it is correct. Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

• 10 months later...

Ron

Ahh the wonders of the internet – Ernest Hey Bolmeer was my (maternal) grandfather, and I found this posting whilst researching on behalf of my mother – his youngest daughter.

I see that you have the basics of his service record on another thread (which was morethan we had), so we can fill in some biographical details for you.

Firstly, the Bolmeer name is from Sweden. I understand that Ernest's grandfather was a Customs Officer in (or near) to Gothenburg. We believe that his son (Ernest's father) crossed the North Sea to Hull, either as a fisherman, or in the merchant navy.

The Oscar's confused me for a bit. Ernest had a brother called Oscar and also called his first son Oscar (although within the family he was always referred to as 'Sonny').

Oscar, his first son, was born during his first marriage to Cecilia. She died fairly young.

Ernest married again. The thread identifies Mrs E H Bolmeer en route for Port Said. This was his second wife Davida Christabell Elizabeth, who was to provide a second son, and three daughters – the youngest of which was my mother.

Ernest was eventually invalided out of the Army in about 1941, whilst based at Bulford Camp near Salisbury. The family moved to Fordingbridge, and then to Ryde on the Isle of Wight in 1943, where he opened an Antique shop. Subsequent home moves were to Northwood, and then finally to Cowes, to where he also moved the Antique shop.

He died at Cowes on 4 February 1963. His widow eventually emigrated to Canada to live with her son, and died there.

Miles

Hello Miles,

Thanks for your reply and the information about your Grandfather,

Ernest Hey Bolmeer, I am most grateful for filling in his biographical details.

Unfortunately I have been unable to add much to the basics of his service record which you have already seen. However, the Service Record of Ernest's brother, Oscar, is available on Ancestry.co.uk. If you want to find out about Ernest's Army career post 1920 until he was invalided out of the Army in the 1940's, you can apply to the Ministry of Defence for his Service Record on behalf of your mother (as next of kin). This might also show what he was doing in Ireland with the Army Cyclist Corps.

I wonder, when he died at Cowes on 4 February 1963,if there was an Obituary in the Local Newspapers ? These often contain valuable information.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

Ron

My mother was already going to apply for her fathers service record - I found out how and downloaded the application over the past couple of days. She's not very computer literate (and doesn't have broadband) so I'm helping...

What is your interest in my grandfather?

Miles

Hello Miles,

I am interested in men who served in 'Pals'Battalions. The name is unusual and both brothers Ernest and Oscar served with the Hull Pals. Are you resident in the UK or Canada ?

Regards

Ron

Ron

I agree the name is certainly unusual in the UK... I think most of them are family, one way or another. Most of the remaining family members are still in the UK -including myself.

Miles

Hello Miles,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I heard at the weekend that Service History Enquiries via MOD are estimated to take 6-8 months. Does your mother have any original documentation regarding his service or photos, etc ? I'll contact the IOW Library Service to see if there was a write up about your grandfather or an obituary.

Regards

Ron

• 4 months later...

Ron

I agree the name is certainly unusual in the UK... I think most of them are family, one way or another. Most of the remaining family members are still in the UK -including myself.

Miles

Hello Miles, Merry Christmas. Just following up to see if you had made any progress regarding E H Bolmeer. Did you apply for his Service Papers ? Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Ron