Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Great War' reshown.

Mark Hone

I haven't (yet) purchased the DVD so I sat down to watch the first episode on BBC2 last night. As the haunting Wilfred Josephs' score began I was transported back to Sunday afternoons in the early Seventies, after roast beef and steamed jam sponge, settling down to watch the series with my nan, whose beloved brother died at Serre on November 13th 1916. The mellifluous narration , the superbly literate script by Terraine and 'Bill' Barnett, the archive film (even if much of it was used out of context!), the soundtrack-I realised all over again why I became interested in the First World War, studied History at University (with Barnett as a lecturer!) and take groups of kids to the Western Front every year. I was interested in my wife's reaction, seeing it for the first time. As episode one finished she ordered me to turn over to BBC4 to catch the second part. As that finished she said:'Oh dear, next week we'll only be able to watch one new episode'. Another convert !

I also watched the "The Great War" in the early Seventies, 74 I think, at the age of ten. My dad had to miss his footie on the other side. I can only agree with Mark comments.

Annette

I recall watching in the early 60's and as people have said a seed was planted then that only grew into a passionate interest many years later. When I was a lad , we had Belgian neighbours who told me that some of the trenches and various other things of interest were still there. This amazed me but I confess, I really didn't believe them. 20 years passed before I was able to confirm that they had not been pulling my leg !

I've started to video the whole series (it saves a little money) so please don't tell me the ending! :D

Seriously, after reading all the comments about this series I'm looking forward to watching the whole thing in one go!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Annette,

I was another 10 year old in 1974 who remembers watching the series with my grandfather, who showed no emotion, just the occasional noise between drawing on his cigarette. When it was finished he bought me a set of books - Purnells History of WW1, which I still have. Oh happy days.

The only oversight with the series is that the veterans are not named, but I suppose it adds to the anonymity of the millions of ordinary tommys who fought.

Top marks to the BBC for showing it again.

Ian :)

I was 11 when the series was first shown in 1964. I cannot recall seeing it. However, 1964 was the year my grandfather died in hospital. He served with the Royal Artillery during 1918 and was slightly gassed. During my early years I never saw him much he was always in hospital or at a convalescent home still suffering from being gassed.

When he died, a locked suitcase that lay under his bed, undisturbed for many years, was finally opened. It seems he had been a souvenir hunter. The suitcase was full of WW1 items that he had probably traded or swapped. A bashed in spiked German helmet, a bayonet, a Turkish soldiers belt, a dead scorpion in a bottle. Wood bine cigarettes and other items I cannot remember now. My gran threw all the stuff in the dustbin!

Sorry, I digressed

I do remember watching the series in 1974, after having my Sunday dinner. I was hooked on the Great War then because I had already read Martin Middlebrook's "First Day of the Somme."

Terry B)

It's absolutely fascinating. Three people in this thread have sworn that they saw this series in '74. My understanding is that it was shown once in '64 as part of the commemorations of the 50th anniversary of the outbreak of WW1 - and never shown again until this year. Repeats were impossible until now due to copyright restrictions.

Am I correct - or was the series repeated in '74?

Added later:

Yes, I see from the BBC web-site that it was repeated in '74. I missed that.

My Sunday afternoons in 1974 were also spent watching the series on TV. While others were mis-spending their youth, I sat at home engrossed. I was even more engrossed when the Salonika eposide came around, for there, on the screen, I was convinced I saw my late grandfather, standing with a couple of other soldiers. One gestures with his pipe toward the camera.

We now have the series on video, but here is question for DVD owners: can you freeze frame and zoom in? If so, I feel another purchase coming on.

Although pretty much the same age as Annette and one or two other contributors (I was 11 in '74) I did not get to see it at the time and have waited all these years. Bought the videos as soon as they came out, though! Was the making of the series programme any good?

Theo

I was only 6 in '74 and so was really looking forward to seeing the series repeated, on watching it I had an uncanny feeling of "seen this before", though I have no recollection of ever seeing it, perhaps this was the seed of my WW1 interest?

With regards to "That was the War thar was" I saw it and am still bemused as to how they ever came to complete it in the first place, with all the arguments and "in-fighting" that was going on? Still, luckily they managed it in the end :D

Mark

Kate,

Yes, the DVD does allow a much better still frame than most (if not all) VHS video recorders and some facility to zoom in on some DVD players . I have the DVD and would be happy to have a look for him and perhaps send you a digital picture.

I've been meaning to look at the Salonika section.

Ian - Thankyou very much for the offer. I'll have to watch the episode and let you know how far into the programme it comes. As regards not remembering the 74 transmission, I suppose it depends on when you had your Sunday lunch, and what the alternatives were on the other two channels.

The Great War Series DVD boxed set can now be bought for £84.99 (RRP £99.99) from www.choicesdirect.co.uk

The Video boxed set is also available for £79.99 ( RRP £89.99)

The Radio Times is offering these prices via Choices Direct to its readers on 01733 230500 Ref RADT9013. However the Series can be bought from the Choices Direct Web Site as above.

I do not know if the DVDs are available on Region1 or the Videos on the North American format for our friends across the pond. I suppose the best thing is to do e mail Choices Direct.

Regards

Frank East

The Great War Series DVD boxed set can now be bought for £84.99 (RRP £99.99) from www.choicesdirect.co.uk

The Video boxed set is also available for £79.99 ( RRP £89.99)

The Radio Times is offering these prices via Choices Direct to its readers on 01733 230500 Ref RADT9013. However the Series can be bought from the Choices Direct Web Site as above.

I do not know if the DVDs are available on Region1 or the Videos on the North American format for our friends across the pond. I suppose the best thing is to e mail Choices Direct.

Regards

Frank East

The DVD is not produced for Region 1 at this time and from a recent correspondence with the company they have no plans on doing so in the future.

Ralph