Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Viscount Michael hugh Hicks- Beach buried next to wife

izzy

Viscount Michael Hugh Hicks-beach died 23/04/1916 and is buried in Cairo his wife Marjorie is buried next to him having died 05/08/1916 is this unusual and does anyone have information on them.

Another one of my Masonic chaps.

Hicks Beach was the eldest son of the former Chancellor, Michael Hicks-Beach, 1st Earl St Aldwyn, and his wife Lucy Catherine (née Lady Lucy Catherine Fortescue). He sat as Member of Parliament (MP) for Tewkesbury from 1906 to 1916 and a board member at Lloyds Bank. He fought in the First World War as a Captain with the 1st Royal Gloucestershire Hussars and died, aged 39 on 23 April 1916 as a result of wounds received at Katia, Egypt. He is buried at the Cairo New British Protestant Cemetery alongside his wife.

He was a member of St Helena Lodge No 488 (St Helena). His occupation was given as Lieutenant in the Militia. He resigned on the 31st July 1901. He joined Cotswold Lodge No. 592 at Cirencester on the 16th October 1901 when his Occupation was given as J.P. He was a Member of Parliament for Tewksbury. The husband of the late Viscountess Quenington who died at Cairo on the 5th March 1916. Mentioned in Despatches he died of wounds on the 23rd April 1916 aged 39.

Mike

Mike thanks for your reply. I found about him in a roll of honour book that i have regarding Gloucestershire war dead. When it mentioned his wife buried next to him i thought it was unusual. Seeing how titled they were i suppose it,s not that unusual. I suppose the cemetery takes in civilian burials besides military.

Izzy - this link is to a photo of a plaque in All Saints Church Fittleton that says she died 4th March 1916 (the same date as The Peerage website also has) - so probably confirms she was buried first and he was buried alongside her

http://www.oodwooc.co.uk/web_pics/fittle/DigiFit028.jpg

Michael's mother Lady Catherine St Aldwyn and his two spinster sisters - Lady Victoria and Lady Susan Hicks-Beach went out to Egypt in 1921 - presumably to visit the graves - aboard the NARKUNDA leaving London on 7th January 1921

Cheers

Sue

Esskay thanks for the memorial picture. The roll of honour book mentions his wife died of Typhus while working in Alexandria as a Nurse was she working for any specific orginization i.e British Red Cross, V.A.D etc.........

There was a Michael Hicks Beach on the roll of Thorneycrofts Mounted Infantry during the Boer War. Any evidence that it was this man?

It did not mention it in the book and a quick Google gave me a Wikipedia entry but no mention of the Boer War but he certainly would have been old enough to serve in that war

Michael Hicks Beach - born in 1877, educated Eton and Christchurch Oxford - title Viscount Quenington. Captain, 4th (Militia) Bn. Gloucestershire Regt - at St Helena during the South African War.

He later joined the 1/1st Royal Gloucestershire Hussars (RGH) as a 2nd Lt.

Served with RGH at Gallipoli as a Troop Officer - took part in the Yeomanry action at Chocolate Hill 21st August 1915. After the evacuation the RGH returned to Egypt.

He was killed when serving as Adjutant (RGH) in severe fighting with Turks some 40 miles from the Suez Canal, near Katia in the Canal Zone on 23 April 1916.

Buried at Cairo New British Protestant Cemetary next to his wife who had died on the 5 March 1916. Grave ref 321-4.

There is more background information about the family on pages 122 -123 of 'The Aristocracy in the Great War' by Gerald Gliddon. The family lived at Coln St.Aldwyn, Gloucestershire.

Philip

From The Times of 27th April 1916

post-4020-1251213634.png

Id have a crack at the Red Cross archives to see if his wife as a member of the VAD

Chris

From the Times of 29 Aug 1916

post-4020-1251229793.png

From the Times of 19 Sep 1916

post-4020-1251230031.png

• 1 month later...

Angela Lambert's book Unquiet Souls has a good coverage of the social context of Quenington and his family.